Have a Cigar!


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Chiriquí » David
September 18th 2012
Published: September 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Panama Caribbean TobaccoPanama Caribbean TobaccoPanama Caribbean Tobacco

Panama Caribbean Tobacco produces a full line of quality cigars. Their tobacco is grown in an adjacent field.
Today I learned more about cigars than I ever thought mattered. Apparently it did matter because, even though neither my wife nor I smoke, we both bought cigars to try. Talking with the owner of Panama Caribbean Tobacco, David Reynaga, we learned how tobacco is grown, dried, prepped, sorted, rolled, shaped, finished, labeled, packaged, and ultimately marketed and sold. We were told the gift cigars we bought for $4.00 would retail in Panama City for at least $7.00, and in the U. S. they could sell for $15 or more.

There were a few surprises in store, like cigars in shapes like a pipe, a hockey stick, and pencil-thin miniature cigars. There was even a monster cigar, and no serious cigar lover would attempt to light up such a manly smoke without a couple hours to kick back and contemplate life’s simple pleasures.

I was told you don’t inhale cigar smoke. The pleasure is in tobacco’s earthy aroma and the fragrances released in the smoke, not unlike incense. A major difference between cigars and other forms of tobacco like cigarettes is that you don’t light a cigar unless you have 30-60 minutes to relax and enjoy the experience. Cigar
Cigar pipeCigar pipeCigar pipe

A novelty cigar which, like the packing box, is shaped like a pipe.
smoking is a social activity; like drinking fine wine, it is seldom done alone. Another difference is that cigars are not habit forming. When I asked about nicotine cravings, I was told nicotine isn’t what gets you hooked on cigarettes. It’s the other chemicals, the ones the tobacco industry won’t talk about, that make you chemically dependent on cigarettes.

Whether or not you have the urge to light up a cigar, the tour of Panama Caribbean Tobacco in Concepción, Chiriqui, Panama, is well worth the trip. Entry is free of charge. To find the place, leave the Pan American Highway in Concepción on the road to Volcán, about 19 km. west of David. The turn is well-marked driving west. Drive 3-5 minutes and look for the green building next door to and just before the Terpel Gas Station on your left. Say “hi” to David for me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

David ReynagaDavid Reynaga
David Reynaga

David Reynaga, on the right, is the owner and tour guide for Panama Caribbean Tobacco.
master rollermaster roller
master roller

This master cigar maker has been rolling custom cigars for over 15 years. He can produce 100-200 cigars per day depending on the size and style of cigar.
Monster cigarMonster cigar
Monster cigar

This monster cigar is the "all-day sucker" type cigar.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb