Getting a Package in Panama


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

01 Pet Spa01 Pet Spa01 Pet Spa

This is where we bring our dogs when we go away for a night or more....
Receiving a package from another country (Holland) is not an easy thing, at least not here in Panama.



Here is how it works:



You open your PO Box and find a form that says there is a package waiting for you, nice ! it’s always exciting to get one.



Then you take the form inside the post office where you have to sign twice and they give you another form.



The new form has to be taken to the Head Post office in another town in order to retrieve your package.



Upon arrival at the Head Post office you have to go to a window on the right, hand over your form and sign two times, again.



Step to another window on the left where you pay $ 0.65 and they give you another form.



Finally you can go inside the post office, find the Customs person and tell them you are there to retrieve a package. The person you met at the first window at the Head Post office will bring your package to the Customs guy.

02 New Road from David to Boquete y vice versa02 New Road from David to Boquete y vice versa02 New Road from David to Boquete y vice versa

They have been working on this road for more than a year, but when it's done it's going to be fast, instead of 45 min or more it will be 25 min....hopefully


The Customs guy then opens your package to see what’s in there and decides whether you have to pay a duty or not. So far we’ve been lucky and never had to pay anything. This time, another guy, opened the package and said: “Wow, somebody send you a whole store ! l am going to hand you the package this time for free but next time you have to pay duties.



l gave him a smile and said, in Spanish : “thank you very much, you are very kind” whatever it takes to NOT pay anything and made some small talk.



Once again l had to sign and walked outside with the package under my arm with a big smile on my face where Hubert was waiting for me in the car.



We had made reservations for two nights in a nice hotel where we stayed a few times before and checked into our room. Poured ourselves a drink and l couldn’t wait much longer to open the package….



l can’t tell you how much fun it is to open a package ! it’s like Christmas every
03 Head Post Office03 Head Post Office03 Head Post Office

and yes, the window's are outside.
time. Find out what goodies are in there. My friends always ask me if l “need” anything and ask me to make a “wish list”. The thing is, being away from Holland for seven years l sometimes can’t remember what they have there, one does forget….. But as always my friends know what we like and it is always, always very much appreciated, thanks friends !



We had a wonderful stay in the hotel Ciudad de David, the food is good, breakfast buffet is different every day and we did some good shopping as well. Our car was packed so we had to go home first to unload and then go to the Pet Spa to pick up our dogs.



Shasta and Amigo were happy to see us and we were happy to see them, it’s nice to be away but also very nice to be back home.



Oh and the Head Post office in David was only 40 min. drive away…..



Until next time,



Love



Willeke and Hubert



Shasta and Amigo


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

04 our room 04 our room
04 our room

at the Ciudad de David
Late afternoonLate afternoon
Late afternoon

view from our hotel room
09 Downtown David09 Downtown David
09 Downtown David

always busy busy...
10 at 06.00 am10 at 06.00 am
10 at 06.00 am

sunrise from our hotel room
Baru volcanoBaru volcano
Baru volcano

on our way back home again, we live on the slope of this volcano....


19th May 2012

mail
Looks like a fun excursion to get your package. I don't think any place is as easy for international shipments as here - the US (actually I don't know that since I never receive any) but I sent package of baby clothes to Madrid & they had to go through hoops to get it too. Still, making a mini vacation to get your package sounds like lots of fun! Enjoyed your blog and photos!
19th May 2012

Hi Marjorie, yeah it was fun to make a mini vacation and get my package, glad you liked the blog :) and today l learned another one is on the way but this one will get to Boquete normally. Hugs to you from us.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb