Panamá Bonanza


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So yes, the border crossing really was as crazy as I had heard it would be. When I arrived at the crossing between Costa Rica and Panamá I couldn´t believe that you actually had to walk over this plank bridge from Costa Rica to get to the immigration office on the Panamá side. Basically, the bus drops you off on one side, and then you pick up a different bus on the other side. Who thought of that idea? There were tons of people making crossing as I hobbled with my crutches and a lot of concentration very, very, very carefully across the bridge Add to the picture a few large trucks inching up behind me as Hendrik kept yelling a jesting "hurry up". Think about that scene in Stand By Me and then add crutches, a beaming hot sun, and substitute a truck for the speeding train.

But, we made it across without incident. The boat ride into Bocas del Toro was beautiful and arriving to yet another tiny beach town felt perfect. Spent next few days playing lots of dominoes and drinking plenty of Cuba Libres. Panamá had a different feel than the more developing countries like Nicaragua and Guatemala.... a more relaxed Carribean vibe. The town was praying for rain as they hadn´t had any in months. Thankfully one morning it poured for a few hours and we knew that now at least the showers would work.

After the rain cleared that day, Hendrik and I found a boat that would take us to another island near Isla Colon- Bastemientos (?) for some fresh lobster. Much like Lago Atítlan in Guatemala- everything is done by water taxi around Bocas. But they have lobster in Panamá!

A few days later, Darren who I met back in Granada at the Oasis Hostel arrived from Nicaragua and Jen flew in from Panamá City. We discovered an amazing playa called Red Frog Beach- near the lobster place, but then a 20 minute walk from the docks... Picturesque- like out of the movies. Went back to this beach 2 days in a row in search for the poisonous red frog and to take in all that beautiful sun and warmth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Banana boatBanana boat
Banana boat

Bocas del Torro- view from restaurant
Water taxiWater taxi
Water taxi

plus crutches
Lobster!Lobster!
Lobster!

Took water taxi to this restaurant for lobster and dominoes- Roots
Red Frog BeachRed Frog Beach
Red Frog Beach

Bocas del Torro- picture perfect beach & a little tough to negotiate the sand with crutches- but I made it
Dominoes over breakfastDominoes over breakfast
Dominoes over breakfast

Darren, Lisa, Jen in Bocas del Torro
View from breakfastView from breakfast
View from breakfast

Bocas del Torro water taxis
Red Frog BeachRed Frog Beach
Red Frog Beach

Day 2 - Darren at bar
Red Frog Beach 3Red Frog Beach 3
Red Frog Beach 3

Me and my crutches take in some sun- working on that cast tan
Jen, Darren, LisaJen, Darren, Lisa
Jen, Darren, Lisa

more lobster- even better than the first time around
View of Bocas del TorroView of Bocas del Torro
View of Bocas del Torro

from plane on our way to Panamá City


15th April 2007

missing you!
Love the beach picture. Tan skin looks good with that ccolor blue. I am getting very excited about your time here but it's so lovely to be able to see what you've been up too. The weather and spring here in Atlanta has been beautiful. I think you will enjoy it as your intro back into the States. Can't wait.
15th April 2007

Your quote
Oh, by the way, I really, really like the quote on your page. I love you!
16th April 2007

Great photos!
You look happy and relaxed, the beach is gorgeous, nice friends and yummy- looking lobster, lots of sun and interesting places.... glad you're hving a good time! Hugs from Wisc., where the grass is finally green and the trees are budding out....
18th April 2007

You go girl!
Lisa--You are awesome! Can't wait to see you next time you're in FL or I'm in SF. I hope you're leg is better soon. You're so amazing for doing this journey. I look forward to hearing your Spanish. You and my mom can talk :) Love u! Miss u! You rock! Have fun!

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb