Volcano meets the surf


Advertisement

The first day on Ometepe, I rented a kayak for the day and kayaked to San Ramon. From there, it's about a 4km hike to San Ramon waterfall. A 60 meter waterfall halfway up the volcano with the water coming out of the crater-lake made from rain water. It was pretty awesome to shower in the waterfall after a long hike! Later that day we kayaked to the isthmus connecting the two volcanoes. It's a very shallow swamp and the only way to access it is via kayak. There were numerous species of birds and monkeys around the swamp. After 2 days on the island, I left the hostel and walked to Oje de Agua (natural springs) about 4 hours away from the hostel. The walk was amazing and I hitchhiked on the back of a few pickup trucks to make it there. Unfortunately, the natural springs were less than impressive. It was basically a big swimming pool that was too crowed and commercialized. I took the last ferry off the island to San Jorge and now in San Juan Del Sur (an amazing beach city on the south pacific coast). There is a huge international surf competition happening in this city right now. There are so many beautiful beaches with amazing surf and off shore winds 300 days out of the year. I quickly made friends with a group of Dutch travelers and have been taking trips to different beaches and renting surfboards. It's nice having the surf competition here because the city is crowded and very lively at night. The surf attracts many Australians who are on a completely different level of drinking than the rest of the world. By around midnight they start to speak in a strange dialect of English understood by absolutely no one and by around 1am, you can find them passed out in the middle of the street or the beach. It's nice to have bars that are open till the morning so you can avoid many hazards by going out after 1am or later. San Juan Del Sur will be my last stop in Nicaragua, I'm only about 30km from the Costa Rican boarder and I plan on making my way down south tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb