Surf and Climb


Advertisement
Published: October 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Volcano ConceptionVolcano ConceptionVolcano Conception

This is one of the two volcanos that are on an island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. Pretty kewl.
Greetings from Nicaragua!

We left Costa Rica on the 24th after heading back through the capital to perform some business and eat Taco Bell. I had a Crunchwrap Supreme and it tasted delightful. It tasted like the same dirty meat they use back in the states, so it was a welcomed and heart-warming treat. We caught a fancy bus (complete with air conditioning...the first we´d experienced in 2 weeks) after finding out that we were too late to book tickets for the more popular bus line and having to run around San Jose at 7 am. The people were not too helpful in us finding the other bus terminal. I tried to find the number to call them, and they gave me a phone book to panama, which I didn´t realize until a while later. There was also this fairly annoying US kid bothering us who thought it was a good idea to bring his skateboard with him to 3rd world countries that dont have paved roads. I guess he was practising his dirt-skating.

Anyways, we made it through the border fine and ended up that night in San Juan del Sur. A really cool town that serves as
Water SunsetWater SunsetWater Sunset

San Juan Del Sur Sunset
a fishing port for most of southern Nicaragua. We stayed an extra night to explore, and got on a ´Booze Cruise´for the evening where we got to fish for a couple of hours. We ended up catching a couple of ´Porkies´, and took them to a restaurant which cooked them up for us.

The next day we went to Playa Maderas and stayed at a really neat hostel a couple meters away from the surf break. We met our friend the ´Doghouse Lord´, aptly named because he chose to sleep in these meter high concrete blocks called ´Casas de Perros´by the owner, instead of in the nicer rooms that Taylor and I chose. Surf here was really good.

Our next destination was Playa Popoyo, which is a more remote surf break, and a reaaaallllly good wave. We stayed here for 10 days because the waves were so good. I definately caught the biggest of my life, and I have been improving every day. Huzzah!

The characters at our hostel in Popoyo included the Doghouse Lord, Surf Jesus, James, the Frenchies, and a floridian named Keith who is lives a couple houses down. The pictures I have posted
Town SunsetTown SunsetTown Sunset

Looking back on SJDS at sunset
are ones he took, and he is starting a business in Popoyo. Internet was hard to come by, so thats why there have been no updates for awhile.

Miss yall!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

My ´Fish´My ´Fish´
My ´Fish´

This is the only thing I caught during the second booze cruise.
Camping MatildeCamping Matilde
Camping Matilde

This is where we stayed right on the beach in Playa Maderas. Dog House Lord stayed just to the left.
Doing the dutyDoing the duty
Doing the duty

Usually we wash our clothes in a bucket, but this time we got a wash-board!!!
Max vs BirdMax vs Bird
Max vs Bird

This is our monkey friend Max. He got into a fight with the local parrots because they were invading his monkey house.
Max and MeMax and Me
Max and Me

Max is more interested in other things than playing with me.


14th October 2009

AWESOME!
Good to hear from you! Sounds like you are having the time of your life! Enjoy! Stay safe........

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb