Little Corn Island to Big Corn Island


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After the middle of the night reading session we both slept great. We woke up well rested. We both were wide awake around 6am. I think we've just been sleeping more than enough lately.

We had breakfast with Ana & the kids. Lola & Surya were using my computer to play games & they were teaching me things about how to use my computer. Pretty funny. After breakfast we packed up & reorganized. We were comfortably moved into our little cabana so it took some time to pack. We paid Ana, said goodbye to everyone, took some last minute photos of everything one more time...Especially the puppies. They are so adorable & they were sleeping & snuggling together. Precious!

Then we strapped on our backpacks & headed into town on the trail. It was really hot & a lot of work. We haven't had to carry our packs anywhere for almost 2 weeks. They seemed extra heavy suddenly, especially with the combo of the morning heat & humidity. But we made it into town & ditched our bags at the dive shop. We walked around a bit & got lunch at Tranquilo's. We'd been told they have the best burgers so we had to give it a test. The burger was really good & so were the fish tacos. Expensive, but tasty. And with hand cut fries. Mmmmm.

With full bellies we wandered around & said goodbye to our friends that we've met during our time here. It was kind of sad. But, I think we are both ready to go & see more things. I took one last swim in the ocean & then suddenly our panga was there & loading people onto it. We had to scramble a bit to get ourselves together & get to the boat. But we made it & off we went on another crowded panga. The boat ride was a little bumpy & this young couple from the States complained about it the entire boat ride. Why complain about something you can't change? I don't get it.

We made it to Big Corn dry & not seasick. Woohoo! We strapped our bags back on & headed out to find a place to sleep. The first place we went was listed as the cleanest place to stay on Big Corn by our guidebook. It wasn't anymore anyway & they wanted a
Puppies sleeping. Puppies sleeping. Puppies sleeping.

Nothing is cuter than that!
lot of money for a room full of flies with stains on the sheets. Ick. So, we continued on & walked for a good amount of time but ended up at a nice hostel right on the water. The room was clean enough, there weren't flies, we had a bathroom, & it was looking at the water all for $15. Perfect.

After another swim, we were roasting, we headed into town in search of the baseball game. Big Corn is hosting the 60th Caribbean Coast League Tounament and they just installed big lights for their stadium (the first stadium with lights in the Carribean Coast League). We could see the lights all the way from Little Corn, & there was a night game tonight so we had to check it out. We took a cab out to the stadium. It was super nuts around the stadium. All the food vendors set up with coolers & folding tables. Guys walking around selling cotton candy. Kids everywhere. We opted to buy the "better" ticket to have the option of going anywhere in the stadium, 50 cordobas for the ticket = $2.50. We sat behind home plate for awhile & Geoff went off in search of a baseball hat. He didn't find any unfortunately, their hats are cool. I guess we'll have to come back someday to get one...

After a bit we headed out to find some snacks & beers. We wandered around the stadium, took some photos, chatted with some people, & ended up in the VIP section. The investment in the better ticket really paid off. We got a table right next to the outfield just up from First Base. It was soooo fun. Fly balls were landing on the Tona tents that we were sitting under & one even hit our table. I spilled my drink all over myself from the surprise of it but that was the worst of it. We watched the pitchers warm up in the bullpen, the catcher practice & we felt like we were a part of the game practically. It was really fun. We snacked on popcorn & plantain chips & chatted with some locals who were sitting near us. We had a few too many drinks & ended up pretty tipsy when the game was over. On the way out we grabbed a plate of chicken & gallo pinto to go & found a cab. Our cab ride was super ridiculous. We picked up this girl from a grand opening of a new bar & she had all these party hats & noisemakes with ribbons. She gave us all one & we were all hysterically laughing & blowing the noisemakers at people on the streets. Ridiculous. Then we picked up this young guy who sang every song on the radio at the top of his lungs. Our cab ride was probably all of 15 minutes but it was really fun. Even the cab driver was laughing at all of us.

We made it home safely & sat by the water for a long time talking about life. We both have been quite philosophical lately. All kinds of time & all kinds of things to talk about. It's been really good. We're learning a lot about one another. Possibly more than we wanted to know at times...usually related to bodily functions...eeek!

Another chicken dinner with rice & beans, of course, before bed & some pages read in our books. Then off to sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Another view.Another view.
Another view.

I just love the dolphins.
VIP SectionVIP Section
VIP Section

All yours for only $2.50
The lights!The lights!
The lights!

The first lit stadium on the Caribbean Coast League.


Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb