Little Corn Island Day 10


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The pics: A view of our shower from the front, the path toward town, a house along the path (so many are made of metal), 3 pics of the bay in front of town, the path to Ensuenos along the beach, me & the beach in front of Ensuenos, dinner table for us, Us sitting out front before dinner enjoying our drinks, Us at our dinner table, Vegetables & cheese for course one with our plantain chips & lime beverage! Yum!, Amazing Lasagna, Us with Chef Andrea after dinner.

Today we slept until 8am. We slept a very long time, something like 10 hours! I think it's because it's overcast & cloudy & cool. Plus it's still raining pretty hard which makes it difficult to even want to go outside. It feels like the whole world is damp & soggy. Everything you touch is kinda damp. The moisture just seeps into things. Especially cotton. That never dries in this environment. For example, my sarong is constantly in a state of dampness. Even if it sits in the hot sun in the middle of the day & is dry to touch, by morning it's damp again.

We waited in bed, reading, until the rain at least mellowed out a bit. It was torrential downpour for awhile so it was nice when it was just sprinkling. We headed out on the path to LCBB for breakfast again. Their omelet was just too good. We walked along the very muddy path to the beach. We did a lot of talking about whether we should stay or go. It's like choosing between two really good candy bars. They both sound so good & we know we'd be pleased with either decision but which one sounds better. So, we just keep talking about it. Pros & cons & such. I think we're leaning towards travelling onward.

We started breakfast on the beach but because of the rain & the sudden disappearance of wind, the bugs were going crazy & biting us. So, we moved under shelter & drank a bunch of coffee & looked through a book called "Nicaragua, A country of small things" (or something like that). It was a great book filled with pictures of the people & many of the cities we've visited. We had Nicca eggs & an omelet & delicious cinnamon toast made with coconut bread. mmmmm. We talked with a couple from Seattle who are teachers & here during spring break. As usual they told us to get our traveling out of our system before kids. That is a common bit of advice we receive. It's funny. It started pouring again for a bit. You can see the clouds coming from the east over the ocean & heading directly toward us. These clouds now are really black & just hugging the horizon. Rainy clouds. There was a parrot at the restaurant that sits out in the tree & was just completely soaked after the rain passed through. It was kinda funny.

After breakfast, & once the rain stopped again, we headed back to Derek's along the beach & then to the muddy path. We've decided now to continue on with our travels. We can do our DM anywhere & we can do it any time we want. Maybe Belize... We loved diving there. Sooo beautiful & such a good vibe & good people. So there you have it. We have to pack up & leave Little Corn tomorrow. It will be sad to go because we have loved it here but the travel bug is in us & we want to see more!

Now, time to snorkel & look for shells. Even though it's still cloudy. At least it isn't raining. And it's not cold. All good things. There are so many perfect shells right on the shore at Derek's. After our brief snorkel stint we showered & then got ready to walk into town.

Since we've been traveling we've both become accustomed to walking around just about anywhere in our towels. The shared shower at Derek's is all the way across the field from our cabana. So, after showering we just wear our towel for the walk back. We do this in hostels too. It's common practice & I still remember our first hostel in Mexico when people were walking from the showers in their towels & I couldn't imagine myself being able to be so immodest. But, once you share enough public bathrooms you learn its' just easier to leave everything in your room & change your clothes there. Why put in the extra effort of lugging your belongings back & forth. Pretty funny stuff.

In town we spoke with the dive shop manager & told her we'd decided to continue traveling rather than stay. One of the DM's told us it was against our fate to go against the coin toss. We told him we felt ok overruling the decision of the coin. We chatted with everyone at the dive shop for a bit, bought a bottle of wine in town, & headed back along the trail into the middle of the island & back to Derek's.

We pretty quickly headed out to Ensueno's after getting back to Derek's. Why does time fly so fast?? It's annoying. We walked along the beach to Ensueno's. I wanted to get there a little earlier this time because I didn't get to take any pictures there last time since we arrived after dark. Must document all experiences well! We arrived at Ensueno's & snapped a bunch of photos & walked around their property. Their cabanas remind of what hobbit houses would look like in real life. Their made of the land around them & built into the rocks & trees. They're really interesting & fairytalesque.

We then sat in the super cute outdoor seating area where they lit candles & we drank wine. It was lovely! We talked about our time on LCI & what we learned & the things we enjoyed about it. Dinner was super fun. We were the only ones there for dinner so Andrea had us set up in their cute little dining room & he was having so much fun serving us. He has the heaviest Italian accent which makes him so immediately likable for some reason. Plus he always smiles. That helps. But his food! He is an incredible chef! He made us a grilled veggie starter that he served with a drink made of fresh squeezed lime juice & rum. Yum! He also served fried plantain chips, my favs! Yippee!! For dinner he made lasagna. We were totally oohing & ahhing over all the food & he was practically jumping up & down because we were so happy. It was awesome. He said the lasagna was his Grandma's recipe & he told us how he made it. What a long process. The result was the best lasagna I've probably ever had. I've actually never seen Geoff eat so slowly. He said he wanted to enjoy every bite. For dessert was a banana cake. It was a perfect end to our perfect time on LCI. Our own private dinner. Sooo spoiled! That's us & we love everything about it!

We said goodbye & thank you to Andrea & headed back to Derek's along the beach.
Our last night at Derek's. So sad. We both woke up tossing & turning in the middle of the night & ended up reading for a bit. I think we're both excited/nervous/anxious about leaving. It feels like a lifetime ago that we were on the road & taking buses everywhere.

Random sidebar: One of my new favorite responses to "how are you?" is "right here." Almost every time you ask that question to a local that is the answer you get. I love it! Pretty much sums it right up.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb