Little Corn Island Day 9


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photos: The first is of Rosa's delicious breakfast, the next few are from Little Corn Baseball, the lady with the white bucket is the beer vendor, the huts out back are the food vendors, Photo 8 is the announcer with his bull horn, the boat the baseball players are leaving on, lastly Letitia putting my hair wrap in (it's basically colorful string wrappe around a chunk of my hair).

This morning we walked the length of the beach to Rosa's for breakfast. It isn't raining anymore but is still a bit cloudy, which is actually kind of nice because the sun is hot!

Rosa's food is so good. We had huge plates of eggs & gallo pinto & a coffee & a huge bowl of fresh fruit, all for $3. Love it! After stuffing our faces, we walked through town & said hi to the usual faces. We asked Michelle about DM openings because we are sort of toying with the idea of staying here, getting our DM & then heading home. It's just so nice here & we love it. We had to know if it is an option & then we can go from there with our decision......

We walked to the baseball field to watch the 2 baseball games today. It cost 30 Cordoba for our tickets ($1.50). It was fun. Some locals had set up concession stands with thatched rooves & thatched walls. Pretty cool. There were people serving beer & juices & such that would walk around with a big white bucket full of them & hand out what was asked for. We ended up drinking a fair number of beers while sitting there for hours. When the beers are $1.25 it's not tough to justify drinking them. We sat through the first game with a couple of girls from CA & Canada. They too were drinking a few beers & we came up with a business plan to keep us on the island so we'd never have to leave. We'd call our business "Drunkies" & it basically consisted of a wheelbarrow business where we would cart drunk people home after games, after the bars, in the middle of the day, whatever. We'd also sell beer from the wheelbarrow & offer a laundry service. We had it all planned out. There was a lot of laughing involved in the planning. It was fun.During the game we listened to local lady cheer nonstop & quite loudly & we could not understand a word she was yelling. She had a thick creole accent & was whooping & yelling & every time I'd look up at her she'd be smiling & huge gold toothed smile & would be looking around to see who was looking at her. It was highly entertaining. Although we had to move away from her because her yelling was really screechy, she was still cracking us up through the whole game. The announcer of the game had only a bullhorn to announce. Occassionally you would hear what he had to say but mostly not because there was constant music playing. The music was hooked up to a big speaker (like one from your house from 1998) that was just blaring. The music was super fun though, mostly Reggae. Then there would be a Cyndi Lauper song, which I knew all the words to of course. Every time something would happen, good or bad, the music would get louder just as the announcer was telling us what happened. I guess the details aren't as important as the music! Also, he would read ads for the 3 comedores set up out back. I loved it. "Refrescos, agua fria, Cerveza Tona, Pollo frito, tostones!" & then he would say the name of the place. It was so awesome! There were only 3 concession stands & he told us what they were selling about 500 times.

Eventually his ad skills worked on us & we ordered BBQ chicken & plantain chips. Someone near us ate a plate of it & we were practically drooling on them. I had to pay 3 Cordoba to use the bathroom the first time. After that we took trips into the forest together. The cost of the bathroom would have seriously cut into our beer fund.

Ana, Marc, Lola, Surya showed up to the game towards the end. We saw them walking towards us from the other end of the baseball field. They just appeared out of the bushes. They know all these secret pathways throughout the island. We watched the end of the game with them & then walked back into town. Letitia & Felipe were posted up in front of the dive shop, as usual. I had Letitia put an extension in my hair. I picked purple, red, yellow & green & she put a pretty shell & some turqouise stones on the end. I love it! While sitting there & attempting to sit still for Letitia I watched Geoff on the deck talking with all the dive guys looking really happy & relaxed. It is nice to see him so relaxed & at ease. It makes me happy.

After about an hour Letitia finished my extension & I wanted to promptly see it so I went to the dive shop mirror. When I came out James said he was flipping a coin to help us decide whether or not to stay. Best of 3 says to stay. I chose the triangle side of the coin. It landed on the centavo side once & the triangle twice. The coin says we stay. Yikes! The dive shop was all excited about the decision.

We walked home & talked a lot about staying & basically ending our trip here. We had a lot of conversations that evening & into the night. Staying is so tempting because we absolutely love it here. The vibe, the people, the weather, the beach... ARG! Do we keep traveling or what?

When we were talked out we went back to reading our books in our room. 😉 Best way to spend time. The wind has picked up again & another bit of chill. It was sooo hot today I felt bad for the baseball players in the sun. Thankfully the stands had a roof for shade.

We had another delicious dinner at Derek's. They made us Thai coconut curry, that was a bit spicy just the perfect amount, with meatballs. Yum. There was homemade bread, white rice, & cold green tea. I was so hungry that I stuffed myself silly. Their sauce & meatballs were incredible. I learned that the funny slimy fruit we see along the trails on the ground is Noni. I had no idea what it looked like, now I know it is not a pretty fruit. We had some funny talks about yoga & windmill power & not being reliant on gas at all, like they are. They are a funny couple. Derek is like a total hippie who says "man" a lot and Ana is a super engergetic & talkative Spaniard, who has the typical Spanish spicy side. It was just the four of us for dinner & it was super entertaining. We were supposed to head out to Tranquilo's to listen to Felipe DJ but we decided another walk into town sounded like too much. Lazy bones again!

We talked a little more about what to do with the rest of our trip & then read & slept. The wind howled all night, the rain poured, it was a bit chilly for sure but felt so nice to sleep without the heat.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 32; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb