Hey mahn, Welcome to Jaymakha.


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

To say it was a long day is an understatement. Early up, so you can wait in lines.

In Houston, no problem. Made it through security, got to the gate, and waited for boarding. After we got on board, before take off, someone got sick (rhymes with arf) and we had mechanical delay. Something about gas tank gauge not reading full. Then off to Jamaica.

Capt. and flight crew did a great job of flying, and landing. They were not informed as to how customs processed arrivals however. They passed out the Jamaican forms, and clearly said "one per family. up to 4 people on one card". So, we filled out one, and The Perrodins filled out one. It may be this was their first flight into Jamaica, but when we got down to customs, there were two ladies explaining that each person needed a form. Step right over here and fill them out. Several hundred folks doing just that. Pens? Oh, no, we don't have those, you need blue or black. Well, the geekster always has a pen.

We filled them out, and got in the lines, resembling Astroworld, or DisneyWorld on SpringBreak. At 1:15 we entered the back and forth maze. At 2:30, we got through customs, and headed for the shuttle pickup.

From this point on, it was wonderful. The people all were friendly. Suck-up factor was large. They like tourist, and appreciate them and want them to come back. We had a lounge to wait the 20 minutes for the shuttle, got on the shuttle, and began the 2 and half hour trip to Ocho Rios, and the Beaches Boscobel.

We made a couple of stops to 'wee' as the brits called it, and here in Jamaica, the shoulder of the road is as good a rest stop as you get. We did get to the half way stop, the Jerk Center. I've seen a lot of these, and was curious about why all the attention to jerks. It is a seasoning, not people. very similar to BBQ rub in Texas or Tony's in Louisiana. As the lady said, "you rub it on whatever you're jerkin' "That's why I called it the Culture Center, because we all learned something.

The hotel stop was about 5:30, and a long day of travel was over. We could get in the room, unpack, and go eat. We did just that. The boys went for a brief swim with mom, and then returned. Everyone was tired, but had experienced a very broad range of scenery... and it was good.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb