Up in the hills


Advertisement
Jamaica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Jamaica » Montego Bay
February 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today Patrick took us up in to the hills around Mobay. We climbed up and up the mountain side, with the views getting better and better as the road got worse and worse. On the way we passed lots of local houses and shops full of interesting fruit. This was the area where Patrick grew up, and we passed his school on the way, learning about the different trees and fruits as we went along.

Next stop was Patrick's sister's house, where he rumaged around and found a large machete. He then proceeded to chop down some bananas and another fruit I'd never heard of, I think he called it star fruit, although it was round.

We finished the afternoon at Patrick's uncle's house. There we were given coconut water and jelly fresh from the tree - significantly better than the one from the roadside the day before. Ashanti (uncle) told us that the jelly is good for your back - tip for all of you with sore backs. The afternoon was spent drinking rum under a tree and playing dominoes with all of Patrick's family and Peter (Patrick's house guest).

On our way back home we stopped off for our first experience of downtown Montego Bay to buy Steve a replacement rucksack. It broke the day we set off! It's a bit like Manchester except there are wooden buildings ramshackled between cement ones and it's busier and smellier.

We came back home after a long day and settled in to a few more red stripes. Steve got up at 4am to use the loo and couldn't get back in to the bedroom, the lock had broken! So Steve was locked out and I was locked in. After several attempts the door still wouldn't budge so we had to wake Steve, the owner, up. He managed to get in using a screw driver and a carving knife.

All is good now, we've got a new lock on the door. We've also got a new room mate, Jon, who's going to adventure down to Doctor's Cave, a beach off the hip strip with us. We're also going in to town to try some more Jamaican street food.

x




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

DSC03722DSC03722
DSC03722

Peter, Steve and Patrick.
Drink?Drink?
Drink?

We stopped off at another little shed/bar. It was fab. There was only rooom for about 6 people. I've started on the Appletons rum now, much better than Sailor Jerry's [ducks]
Star fruit maybe?Star fruit maybe?
Star fruit maybe?

This is Patrick's land next to his sisters.
MacheteMachete
Machete

and Patrick looking for bananas.
DominoesDominoes
Dominoes

Ashanti sitting in the middle. I think Steve gave them a run for their rum.


11th February 2010

Hi Joan!
Patrick's our guide, he's friends with the guy who owns our guest house. Glad to hear that Huw is enjoying himself, can't wait to catch up with him in April. Hope all is well your end. Lots of love xxx
12th February 2010

You've left!
i kind of missed you leaving and now you have gone. have a fab trip. already looks incredible. reminds me of my travelling dys. appreciate every second as it goes past so quickly. x
12th February 2010

shhh
I agree about the rum, but don't tell anyone...
13th February 2010

sounds really good
Glad you're having a lovely time and thanks for all the info, Your dad has forwarded your blog.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb