Honduras Honeymoon


Advertisement
Published: February 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our honeymoon began with an 11:45pm flight out of Fort Lauderdale, direct to San Pedro Sula, Honduras. A short flight (in which we were asked to sit alone in the emergency exit seats due to us being the only English speaking passengers… not sure how we would have helped 100+ Spanish speakers in an emergency, but we liked the bigger seats and additional room to lay down, so no complaints) later we landed in San Pedro Sula at 1:15am central time and experienced the BEST customs experience ever. Short and quick. Once we grabbed our luggage and they scanned it, we found our hotel cab driver holding a sign with our names and off we go.

We stayed two nights at Casa Del Arbol in the city center and it was the perfect location. The hotel had a large tree weaving its way through the center (hence the name) and was very beautiful. Our room was super cute with a huge king size bed and lovely bathroom. Breakfast was included and delish. Highly recommend Casa del Arbol.

After a good night sleep we went off to explore San Pedro Sula since we only had one full day here. (That is enough time in our opinion). We grabbed a map and headed out in the rain.

Things we learned immediately…

1. There are very few street signs so it’s difficult to figure out where on the map you are.

2. When asking in Spanglish and showing a map to Honduran Security guards, they do not necessarily know where “aqui” is on the map.

3. English speakers in San Pedro Sula are few and far between. You can find them in major hotels (not ours) mostly.

4. Giving an exact address to a cab driver does not mean you will arrive at the intended destination.

After getting bad directions and struggling to find street signs, we finally made it to our first destination… Mercada Guamilito. This market was huge and allowed us to get most of our souvenirs out of the way for very little money. For around $100 USD we walked away with the following:



2 bottles of medicinal rum

2 pair of earrings

3 bags of Honduran coffee

2 packs of Honduran cigars

Local wall art

Kid’s soccer uniform

Kids dress

Tobacco

Shot glasses

Magnets

Pipe

And more!

We found our way back to the hotel to drop off our purchases and went back out to see the city center. Just a few blocks from our hotel we were able to see the Parque Center, a Catedral, and explore the Museo de Antropologia e Historia. The Museum contained artifacts from Sula Valley in the Archaic and was intended to reinforce the national identity of Honduran people through education of their past.

After seeing the sites we found the Plaza de los artesanos, another market that sold local handicrafts and next to it, a bunch of local food vendors. We grabbed lunch there that included 4 cervesas and in total (2 lunches + 4 beers) we spent $8 USD. The food was delish and beer tasted great and the price was obviously right.

After a lovely nap time, we went back out in an effort to find a restaurant that was recommended on Trip Advisor. This is when we learned that just by giving a cab driver the exact address, you could not be confident you’d get to your destination. The restaurant was supposedly .7 miles from our hotel, so we first tried to walk it. The area was looking a little shady and it was getting dark, so we hoofed it back to the city center to grab a cab. The cab took us in another direction, but thanks to our limited Spanish we were unable to communicate effectively our thoughts on which way we thought it was. And he was a cabby! Aren’t they supposed to know their city? We ended up at a Mexican joint (Salsa Mex) and had a yummy dinner (just not the one we had intended).

Tomorrow we are busting out of San Pedro Sula and heading to La Ceiba.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0307s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb