Roatan... are you kidding me?!?!?! How beautiful is this place?!?!?! A pure and simple pleasure.


Advertisement
Published: December 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Why would Floridians travel to a tropical island? Where else would you have a big sea, mostly to yourself, cute fish, an afternoon trade-wind rustling the palm fronds, and new local adventures, all at the same time!!! (Not in Florida!)

We taxied it to the airport in San Salvador and hopped on a propeller plane for Roatan, Honduras. See photos. The one-hour plane ride saved us about ten hours of road travel due to the lack of good and fast roads. This island is along the same reef as the one in Belize (Meso-American), but you do not need a boat to get to it.

TranquilSeas is the name of our hotel (actually, ecolodge). This place is completely cool. We feel like part of the Swiss Family Robinson. The whole place is basically a tree-house. Our room is called the Tree Frog. Chris (from Britain) and Monica (from Spain), husband and wife, own the place and built it from the ground up. Everything is cared for meticulously. Everything is made of natural wood, including the heavy chairs and tables. The structures are actually, built around the trees. There are some bugs this time, so we will see how that works out.

We were shown around by Monica and told of the rules. The bar is always open and Scott is our bartender for the time we are here. If he is not at the bar, we should feel free to get what we want. There is a bar tab (a piece of paper rolled up into a piece of hollowed out bamboo with a picture of a tree frog on it, get it? Tree frog, our room.) and we are on the honor system. This is an eco-lodge dedicated to saving the planet, so we need to use our air conditioner, lights and towels sparingly. We bought keychain type tokens that have the reef information on them, they are $10 each and go to protecting the reef. Breakfast is included in our room rate and they serve lunch and dinner for a price. There is a blackboard to mark upon if you plan to eat there for dinner. There will be two menu choices per evening which includes an appetizer, main course and dessert ($15 flat). When we got to see our room it was completely stunning!!! The views are amazing and the space is very appropriately decorated. See photos.

We changed into our suits and headed out to the water. At the end of the dock is a ladder to descend into the water. The bottom is mostly grassy for a little ways out. There are dogs everywhere and they want to be friends. Enjoy the pics for today, we are going to chill out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb