Published: January 23rd 2012January 22nd 2012
Life is great on Roatan!! We have quickly developed a daily routine even though we are on vacation!! Here's how we pretty much fill our day:
• Up at 9 a.m. (We sleep like babies in the tropics)
• Breakfast on the patio
• Exercise Routine (a program from my personal trainer daughter Lindsay!)
• Putter and Clean-up around the condo
• May do a little reading or walking on our beach and dock
• Walk into town around noon for lunch
• Enjoy an afternoon at the beach, swimming, snorkeling and relaxing
• Walk back home around 4. Shower and get ready for the evening
• Walk back into town for Happy Hour at Sundowners and a visit with tourists and locals
• Later pick one of the many restaurants in West End for supper
• Cab back home with Miguel (our driver) around 9 p.m. Play a few games of dominoes or crib and off to bed
There is a great selection of restaurants on the island from local shacks to fine dining. There is a great noodle and pasta place, A Thai restaurant, seafood places and an Argentinian Steak House. There is always something that suits us and reasonably priced.
Stuart and Lisa invited us to go with them to Tranquil Seas Eco Lodge and Restuarant at Sandy Bay. It is a beautiful resort with multi level decks and palapas. There was a great live band playing as well. Their specialty is very tasty appetisors and tapas. Again we met lots of people from all over the island and world. I'm enjoying the Chilean wine here and seems to be the most popular. We really appreciate Lisa and Stuart's hospitality. We probably wouldn't see and experience as much on the island if it weren't for them. Lisa is taking us on an island tour next week. Stuart (a retired fire fighter from Kelowna) is a dive master here and will be taking us on some snorkel trips.
Roatan has an interesting history in thatit was home to famous pirates such as Blackbeard and Morgan. Between 1560 and 1740, Roatan was used as a supply base for buccaneeers raiding the Spanish mainland. From 1740 to 1982, The British Military took control of the island.
We've had only 2 days with some rain which doesn't hamper our style too much. We just stay at the condo longer and enjoy our
books. There are a couple of good book exchanges here on the island. The rain doesn't last long and before we know it the sun is out and everything is so fresh.
Thanks for reading everyone. Until next time, take care.
Mallory and Warren
P.S. We saw some blue herons on our deck this morning!
There are more photos below