Western Caribbean Cruise - Honduras


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Roatán
September 2nd 2008
Published: November 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Roatan Island, Honduras



Our day started out with a quick breakfast & then up to the top deck to take pictures of our arrival to Honduras. Today the plan was to shop for a bit, come back to shop, then leave on our excursion -- Glass Bottom Kayaking & snorkeling!

Am told that Roatan Island is one of the 'richest' in Honduras. By the first block, one could see that it was still very 3rd world. Lots of little wood shacks with no fans or air conditioners, pot holes in the paved roadways, tons of vendors & little bars on the water. Lots of blocky yellow & turquoise buildings with lush trees & plants lined the street-way. We were there first thing in the morning for them (we went by ship-time), so lots of kids were out walking to school.

We hit a couple shops - one was an indoor market place packed with sweaty tourists and vendors of all types. Nicole went back to ship to drop off her purchases while Michelle & I walked the town a bit. Our excursion left for Gambalina Park promptly. We drove on an old yellow school bus thru the jungle, and down to the park. It was a luxurious grounds with hammocks, beachfront, gardens, and a pool w/ bar.

Our adventure started with the glass-bottom Kayak trip. Well, because of the Hurricanes... our trip was a bit choppy & a fantastic workout! We stroked our way out against the waves a good 20 minutes before fighting the current back. Hmmm, we stroked "right" an awful lot trying not to drift into the shore! Our arms were like jello! Was a neat experience to do it in a clear bottom boat. There were lots of scratches on the bottom, but you could still see seaweed and little fishes swim past below. (Would definitely do it again in better weather.)

The second part of the adventure was a 30 minute snorkeling trip out among the reefs. We took a bit longer to get water & suited up, so we got a private tour guide for just the 3 of us. There were tons of bright colored fishes & waving sea weed along the coral reef. The water was rather rough -- thank goodness for the life-jackets -- that Nicole actually got sea-sick towards the end. Michelle had her own crazy encounter scraping her leg across the coral reef, so we had to go back & medicate it at the gear shop.

While debating to check out the rest of the grounds or just board one of the buses, Nicole got some sea-sick meds from a Dutch couple that we befriended! Rather than rush around the grounds, we just took some moments to visit and then board the bus back. Our impression of the park was a good one. We decided that it would be nice to come back sometime & just hang-out all day.

On board the ship, Nicole got to feeling much better before dinner. We hit the Ivanhoe Theatre for another show and do some on-board shopping. Ah, another day in paradise ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Towel bear... Towel bear...
Towel bear...

gotta take pictures of it!


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb