Bay Islands


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Crossing Honduras was another slightly drawn out process with many of the usual bus frustrations and changes.

We were extremely glad to finally reach the Carribean Coast but as it was late at night we just grabbed dinner and a drink and headed to bed. We still hadn't decided if we were going to sample the many tour activities from La Ceiba or head to the true Carribean paradise, the Bay Islands.

By morning it was an unanimous decision, we were heading on the first of the 2 ferries to Roatan Island for some sun, sand and sea. The ferry ride over was on an impressive and large catamaran. Although it travels at tremendous speed it still takes an hour and a half. With the choppy sea the vomit bags were on high demand. Nurse Leanne tried to help a couple but from the experience on Matts stag do, we know there is not much you can do for a sea sick man.

Roatan is the largest of the Bay Islands and is truly a small piece of paradise with coral reefs and crystal clear waters, plenty of sun, heat, white sand and palm trees lining the island. We definitely made the right decision.

A little bit hot and sweaty we arrived at West End Bay which is the main tourist town on the island. We wondered the strip looking for accommodation. After viewing a few boxes with shared bathrooms and kitchens we stumbled upon a group of small cabins directly opposite the beach. After some negotiating to slash the price by a third, we decided to take it and although slightly over our initial budget, it was exactly what we wanted. The cabins are self contained with fridge, cable TV, aircon, bathroom (with hot water!) and even 2 double beds as well as a hammock swinging on the porch out front.

Finding a room was the main job of the day so now we were straight across the road fro a swim . The water was a prefect temperature. We lay in the water until our skin was wrinkly. Everyone was pretty chilled on the beach and we were busy talking to an English couple and an American guy that we had originally met in Guatemala, when we heard a cry from the beach. Everyone was in hysterics watching some poor guy chasing a local dog who had taken off with his shorts. Not quite so funny when it happens to you! Leannes face dropped and she sprang from the water realizing the dog had turned the game to one of her sandals. Funny but after a while a little annoying and eventually we all dragged the dog in to play in the water and keep an eye on him. It was obviously not the only beach game around here as we watched a loud group of local kids running and diving around the beach like they were playing rugby only there was no ball. Instead the object seemed to be some poor little chicken who eventually won and escaped down the road.

We had a pretty chilled out evening and had arranged to meet up with our American friends at a nearby beach bar. We were hoping to have a nice bottle of Chablis 2004 but as this was not on the menu we had to settle for ice cold beers and cocktails.

Today we had a nice relaxing start to the day (yay no buses!) Just had a coffee and are about to walk 4km around to what is known as the nicest beach on the island for some snorkeling and book reading.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb