June 7 - Camp Distribution


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

UN SecurityUN SecurityUN Security

Provided today and tomorrow by the Brazilian unit.
Monday June 7 - Distribution at the SA Camp.

Today and tomorrow will be a major food distribution at the camp. Recipients had lined up early (as we knew they would) for the trucks' arrival at 8:00 a.m. Security was provided by the Brazilian unit of the UN troops stationed here. This is necessary to ensure an orderly, safe process of distribution to camp residents only. Trucks onloading any goods always draw a large crowd of residents in the nearby area. The design of this process also allows for good control. Four loaded trucks back down along a canal roadway adjacent to the camp. An opening is made for camp residents to flow through and form a queue. Each resident in the distribution has a bar coded card created specifically for them (or head of household) by the UPS tracking system as I explained in an earlier blog. Camp Security also ensures an orderly process.

Small groups are released at a time and proceed to the UPS scanner. You will recall that this card helps us to track important data for each person/family. It also ensures only qualified residents receive goods. Today, we are also distributing water filtration bottles
Lining UpLining UpLining Up

Note the earthquake damage to the canal roadway.
that were part of the containers we recently had clear customs. These bottles were donated to the Salvation Army. The camp committee had previously explained how these would work to the camp residents. It is hopeful these may help to ensure potable water.

The line proceeds to whichever truck is currently unloading the boxes of Numana. As residents pick up their boxes, the line flows past the trucks and around to the main entrance to the camp. The process appeared to flow quickly and without problem.

I hope this doesn't sound too flippant...but Jesus made feeding 5,000 look easy. With some planning and the efforts of camp staff, security, warehouse crew, and the UN troops, we have made feeding 10,000 today and 10,000 tomorrow an effective process. Does the heart good.

NOTE: it is important for me to indicate that large group pictures are acceptable to take. However, to ensure privacy is respected, I always ask permission to take an individual or small group picture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

UPS Scan processUPS Scan process
UPS Scan process

Each recipient or recipient family has a bar coded card produced by this system.
Water Filtration BottlesWater Filtration Bottles
Water Filtration Bottles

Donated to Salvation Army and being distributed to camp residents.
Waiting Their TurnWaiting Their Turn
Waiting Their Turn

This small group waiting their turn, having passed the scanning station.
Lady with NumanaLady with Numana
Lady with Numana

This lady allowed me to take her picture with her box of Numana and water bottle.


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb