Mole St Nicolas


Advertisement
Published: December 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I have visited Mole (as it is referred to by the locals) seven times since March 2005. It is such a beautiful community with a rich historic past; a major watershed event being the establishing of the first new world base by Columbus in December 1492. The Spanish, French, and English all built forts surrounding the town, and most of the structures are still standing, which can be visited easily by foot. Mole's main industries are fishing, charcoal manufacture, charcoal export, and agriculture. On every visit I have observed sailing ship in the bay of mole anchored ready to receive or preparing to sail wood charcoal to the larger cities throughout Haiti. The wood charcoal is manufactured the old fashioned way throughout the NW being a major source of income for families throughout the region, but cutting the trees is a major reason Haiti has ecological problems with soil erosion, inconsistent rainfall, and reef destruction. I personally am interested in helping families in Haiti to plant and grow more trees, especially fruit trees such as mango, avocado, breadfruit, orange and coconut.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb