Xela


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Two hours on a chicken bus from the lake and we arrive in Xela, otherwise known as Quetzaltenango, the second largest city in Guatemala and probably the nicest. Not a lot to do here as a tourist but we got a pick up truck up one of the mountains to some natural hot springs and pools, known as Las Fuentes Georginas . Lovely day out, well worth the 30 min ride up the mountain through the clouds. Also spent a good 30 mins walking up a little jungle path to find it stop dead at a water pipe, good fun. The setting alone was worth the visit but the pools are amazing. It really is the cleanest you feel here after showering in cold water all the time. One other good thing about Xela is their market, it seemed very big and very cheap. According to the MadrileƱos it seemed bigger than the market Chichicastenango, supposedly the largest in Central America.

After two nights here we headed off to Antigua Guatemala, the old capital of Guatemala and Central America. Only four hours on another chicken bus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb