San Felipe y Francisco Vela


Advertisement
Published: October 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This past weekend I went to the country with my friend Jaime who works in the office with me. He is the cousin of the owner of the school. They are both originally from Francisco Vela, a canton (kinda like a suburb, but more country and not ´rich´ part of the surrounding area of a town) of the pueblo of San Felipe which is down the mountain and alot warmer. On Saturday we hiked La Muela which is just outside of Xela and then in the afternoon we headed to San Felipe, the municipalidad of Jaime´s pueblo.

When we got off the bus, it was already obvious that it was much warmer than Xela. Finally! We didn´t do much that night just hung out and kicked the soccer ball around and talked. It was very relaxing. After dinner we just chilled and talked with Jaime´s parents.

In the morning we got up around 8 am and walked all around his family´s land. They grow a lot of yucca for sale, but also beans, corn, and bananas more for their own consumption. I really enjoyed this walk, though we didn´t even see all of it. I know I will go back sometime, but hopefully for a little longer of a period of time; it was just so peaceful, especially compared to the hustle and bustle of city life in Xela.

After we at breakfast, comprised of family grown beans, homemade tortillas, eggs from their hens, and homegrown coffee (with fresh milk from the neighbors), we headed to Irtra, the local amusement park. Irtra has 2 sections of rides and amusement, one being a waterpark. We only went in the waterpark (called Xocomil). It was awesome! I hadn´t been to a place like that in about 15 years. All the rides have the themes of Mayan piramides which is cool, but also a bit weird. It was like a Mayan-themed WaterCountry USA. We had a great time and rode most of the rides twice.

Richard and I returned home to Xela in the evening and Jaime stayed in Francisco Vela to return the following Monday morning. Driving back from the coast into the mountains was absolutely incredible. The scenery in combination with the sun setting on a semi-clear evening was beautiful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

hendrix?hendrix?
hendrix?

this is Flash, Jaime´s dog


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb