Laguna Chicabal


Advertisement
Published: December 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It probably doesn't deserve a whole entry to itself but I thought it'll be easier on you guys if we split our stories up a little. You don't want to be reading throught pages and pages, you'll get bored and I'll stop waffling now 😉

On Sunday we booked a trip to a place called Laguna Chicabal. It used to be a volcano and now there is a lake in the volcano crater. It is a sacred Mayan/Mam place and lots of indegenous people go there to make offerings etc. It is forbidden to swim in the water but funnily enough you can fish there...very strange.
It is a beautiful place and definitely worth going. The village is around 45 minutes from Xela and it is a 1 hour hike to the lake. According to the guide it is an easy hike but I didn't think so. It was pretty tough going up but that probably was mainly because I'm very unfit and the Altitude. I just keep blaming the Altitude for everything 😉 Ed thought it wasn't that difficult and he was sick as well. Very sick tummy, but didn't get sick once. Thank god, imagine him soiling the sacred water!!!

Anyhow, I'll spare you the story behind Chicabal, that's what Wikipedia is there for and enjoy the photos.

Until next time, Yvonne and Ed


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Volcan ??Volcan ??
Volcan ??

I don't know which volcan it is, I assume Santa Maria
Climbing down to the lakeClimbing down to the lake
Climbing down to the lake

I'm telling you that, the steps were so high I could hardly go down. How do those indigenous people get down there?
No swimming in the lake...No swimming in the lake...
No swimming in the lake...

it is a sacred Mayan place and you are not allowed to swim. Would you after seeing that though?
Mayan CalendarMayan Calendar
Mayan Calendar

The symbols are called Nahuales and represent a month. The mayan calendar has 20 months and each month has 13 days.


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb