It's a hard road


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola.
We are currently in a small town called San Pedro (some of you might recognize the name js, tobz and dyls ;-). It’s a sweet as place on the edge of a huge crater lake surrounded by smaller volcanoes. Its the rainy season so it often pours down in the afternoon and evening with spectacular lightening and thunder. The mornings are usually calm and hot!! Perfect for swimming in the lake so we have been skipping showers and joining the locals for a wash in the lake.

We are into our second week at a Spanish school where Carissa is refreshing her Spanish and I’m trying to get a little of the local tongue before we move on. We studied for 5 hours every weekday afternoon but found it was too much so its 4 hours this week. We also stayed with a local family for the first week which was cool but really hard work. Carissa had to constantly make conversation and I was struggling to figure out what the heck everyone was talking about. It was also a little constraining as we had set meal times so it was harder to make time to explore. The family was really sweet though (check out the pics). The father is running for mayor so there were often heaps of people around so not so good for getting homework done.

This week we are in a hotel which costs us about $3 usd a night and our room has an amazing view of the sun rising of the mountains and the lake (pics next time as it take s ages to upload). Eating out is also cheap, about $2 - 3 a meal but we have started shopping at the market where we can get mangos for 20c, a bunch of bananas for 20c, tomatoes for 40c a kg and we even splashed out for a pineapple for breakfast which costs us 75c (in us dollars).

On Sunday we visited one of Guatemala’s biggest markets, which was cool. Didn’t buy much but took in the sights and the atmosphere.

Don’t think we have much else to share right now. We are hear for the rest of this week and then moving on. We have organized a farm for WWOOFing in Costa Rica so we have to be there in a month. Not sure what Central America holds for us between here and there. Will have to wait and see.

Take care and lots of Love
Josh and Carissa



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



1st July 2007

wow guys it sounds amazing! looks amazing too, love your photos especially the one of the family in chichi market.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb