Day 8- Semuc Champey


Advertisement
Published: July 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

ZephyrZephyrZephyr

View from outside our room at Zephyr
Our hostel, Zephyr Lodge, is beautifully located in the middle of a mountainous jungle. The views from everywhere are fantastic. We caught an 8:30am tour to Semuc Champey, which is Mayan for "water running under rocks." Semuc Champey is supposed to be one of the prettiest natural wonderlands in the world.

It began with us all piling in the back of a truck for a bumpy, hour-long, standing ride. We arrived, left all our of stuff, received a candle, and headed for the bat caves. It was pitch-black without the light from our candle. We swam, climbed, and jumped through the tunnels of the cave. This is definitely one of the most amazing excursions I have ever done.

After the caves, we headed to the rope swing and bridge jump. The rope swing was amazing. You sat on the swing and then jumped off a ledge for a huge swing over the river. Although the initial jump was a bit scary, the view as you reach the highest point of the swing before you jumped into the river was incredible. The bridge was another story- a little too high for me this time at 12 meters (almost 40 feet).
Zephyr DormsZephyr DormsZephyr Dorms

Dorm room hut at Zephyr


After the jumps, we had a quick lunch and then went off to hike to the mirador (lookout). Though it was a tough and sweaty climb, it was completely worth it. The view of the turquoise pools was breathtaking. I couldn't believe our next stop was to go swim in them!

Cultural Note

-In Guatemala, besdies Spanish, there are 21 Mayan dialects spoken.

-Guatemala uses the metric system. People always give directions in meters.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

River Swing JumpRiver Swing Jump
River Swing Jump

The splash from the river swing jump at Semuc
Bridge JumpBridge Jump
Bridge Jump

Our crazy tour guide diving off the 40 feet bridge
Mirador ViewMirador View
Mirador View

View of turquoise pools from top of mirador


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb