Why hike up just to come down? The Views!


Advertisement
Published: September 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sting rays Sting rays Sting rays

Sting rays in Belize.
After a LONG day on several buses, ending up exhausted and still 2 hours away from our destination we were in Coban. A nice town, everything a traveller needs to get ready for Semuc Champey.
The next day, up bright and early, we were barreling down the windy and bumpy road to Semuc Champey- an area that is being considered as 1 of the natural wonders of the world. In order to get to Semuc Champey we climbed in the back of a pickup truck and held on tight! 7 bumpy kms later and we arrived at Las Marias caves. With our candle stick in hand we followd our guide into the caves- quite exciting and worth the trip. At times the water was so deep that we had to swim, with our candle held above our head and bats ready to swarm us. We crawled and twisted our ways through to a waterfall and walked straight underneath it. After this came a leisurely float on an inner tube down the river. And then . . . a jump down from a 9 meter bridge! EEK!
Semuc Champey! It is a series of natural pools, stemming from a waterfall. Views from
MegMegMeg

Meg and our guide holding a sting ray, they love to swim by and brush up against you looking for food.
up top, although grueling to get up, are worth the effort! After a great and adventurous day we were taken back to our hostel, El Retiro, for a all you can eat Italian night with beers and new friends. (The night before was their famous BBQ night, Ry loved it but was only able to conquer 2 helpings) Its a great place to stay being right on the river and all the tour options one could need.
Here are a few photos, left over from Belize and our snorkeling trip as well as Tikal and a few pics from Semuc Champey


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Semuc ChampeySemuc Champey
Semuc Champey

The view after LONG hike up the mountain. It almost conquered meg.
Semuc ChampeySemuc Champey
Semuc Champey

Meg happy with conquering the mountain.
Semuc ChampeySemuc Champey
Semuc Champey

at one of the milder water falls.
the Water Fallthe Water Fall
the Water Fall

Going down the side of the rock through a water fall.
Water FallWater Fall
Water Fall

Such a hard time getting down just to jump off into the falls (about 8 meters high)
Our RideOur Ride
Our Ride

Our first class ride to the pools.
TikalTikal
Tikal

Us halfway up temple IV in Tikal
TikalTikal
Tikal

From Temple IV
TikalTikal
Tikal

The ruins of Tikal
El RetiroEl Retiro
El Retiro

View from our front door and sunset at El Retiro Hostel in Lanquin Guatemala


13th September 2008

love the pictures , looks like you're having a great time! By the way, Heather understood the camping photo right away. Same old here. Love ya!
15th September 2008

Hey!! I love seeing all your pics and hearing about your trip! Im so jealous! Keep having fun!! dont miss a thing here - take care!!! Keep updating!
20th September 2008

Hello
Got your E mail will get Dad to register for E mail up dates, glad your having such a great time Mom and Dad

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb