Mayan site of Tikal


Advertisement
Published: March 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I headed off to Tikal with the two American air hostesses I had met in the Rio Dulce. We splashed out a whole $30 a night for dinner, bed and breakfast and a sunrise tour of Tikal. We had a shuttle drop us off outside the park entrance so we could wait the 2 hours until 3pm when we could but a ticket valid for the next day. We then has about a 12km drive through the jungle into Tikal and our hotel. Due to a mix up with transport we three we upgraded to a suite and the staff were so helpful, kind and polite. The hotel was set in the jungle and howler monkeys and small strange guineapig looking creatures, parrots and toucans hung out in the jungle garden and there was even the occasional crocodile in the pool! The site was on a scale that was beyond imaginable, the temples reached high above the forest canopy and to get to the site you have to walk on foot 2km into the site through the jungle with coatis running around and birds calling in the jungle, howler and spider monkeys sitting in the trees.



The pictures speak for themselves....


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb