Tikal, El Peten, Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: January 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Modern Maya usage of Ancient SitesModern Maya usage of Ancient SitesModern Maya usage of Ancient Sites

What happened to the Maya...People chose not to see them! If you open your eyes you will see they are here, in fact have been all along!

Tikal is a national park and pre-Hispanic Mayan ruin site in the northern Guatemalan department of El Peten.

The park and ruin site is easily accessible by private vehicle, bus or tour group from cities throughout Guatemala, Belize and Mexico.

Upon entering the park, vehicles must register at the entrance gate. Within the park there are three hotels and a camping area with bathrooms, wash area and cold showers. Camping was about $4 USD per person per night. Electricity (limited to the hotels, restaurants and shops) is only on within the park from about 5:30 until 9pm. At night at Tikal it is completely dark (can barely see the ground you walk on), so the stars are magnificent. In the evenings you can hear many birds and howler monkeys off in the distance; in the mornings you are visited by wild turkeys. Tikal park is quite the unique place to camp for a couple of nights.


The ruins of Tikal are the most expansive I have seen in the Mayan world. We spent two hours the first day we arrive to the park and the entire second day walking through all of the ruins. I suppose it would be possible to rush through in one long day, but really I cannot see any reason or logic behind doing such a thing. The ruins comprise about 30 square kilometers and consist of at least a dozen separate complexes including many more structures, ball courts, plazas, tall temples, stelae and altars.

Stairways have been built for visitors to climb to the top of the three main temples or pyramids. One of these stairways is more like a ladder though than actual stairs (only Chuck climbed to the top of this one). The view from the tops of these structures is truly breathtaking. One should climb to the top of at least one (even I did it).


Also at Tikal there was an abundance of plant and animal life. We watched parades of caterpillars and leaf cutter ants along the paths and monkeys through the trees. There were many exotic looking tropical plants and endless bird varieties. Visitors to Tikal are sometimes visited by local animals that look like raccoons (actually a cousin, but cannot recall the name). Within Tikal there are thousands of plant varieties, more than 50 species of animal, and hundreds of different types of birds.


The immediate area surrounding Tikal was populated beginning circa 800 BCE. Tikal reached its peak between circa 250 and 900 CE after which time the city began to collapse and the populace dispersed to the jungle and other areas. Some say Tikal was inhabited by small populations or at least maintained and used as a pilgrimage site through the arrival of Spaniards. The site is still used by modern Mayas today to practice their customs and ceremonies.


Tikal has been extensively researched and maintained as an archaeological site since the late 1800s. There are two museums to visit at the entrance to the ruin site and throughout the ruins are interpretive signs to orient visitors.



Definitely Tikal is worth a visit and certainly one should not rush through such an extensive and impressive park; take the time and immerse yourself in the history and culture of the Maya people as well as the dense jungle surrounding this site.



Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

unique style of wall construction,unique style of wall construction,
unique style of wall construction,

we have not yet seen another in the Maya world
Tikal Stela and AltarTikal Stela and Altar
Tikal Stela and Altar

this altar was an ancient one
Temple, Stelae and AltarsTemple, Stelae and Altars
Temple, Stelae and Altars

again, all ancient
TikalTikal
Tikal

maybe the irony of trees is that they can be just as detrimental as they are essential
natural stairwaynatural stairway
natural stairway

here a tree helps us down a hill


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb