Flores and Tikal - The final days in Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a 4-5 hour bus ride, we arrived in Flores (Flore-ess). Well just outside of Flores which is an island connected to the mainland by a 600m causeway. The mob of taxi drivers awaiting our custom informed us it was a 3km walk to the island, they seemed surprised when we said we would walk, it turned out to be about 1.5km.

We ended up in a small but clean hotel room, at $60 US, one of our more expensive rooms, but the hotel had a pool which was a bonus.

Flores is the gateway to the Mayan archeological site, Tikal. An early morning start the next day and we were on our way out. The archeological site is impressive, it is set in lush deep rainforest, populated by wild animals; we saw deer, monkey, a crocodile, a strange racoon like animal, and unfortunately for me, scores of hungry mosquitos, and I had forgotten the repelent. Russell is lucky, the mozzies don't like the taste of his blood but boy do they like mine. Most Lagoons even in citys' have warning signs for crocs next to them..... but we almost fell over when we more or less walked into
Cuba LibresCuba LibresCuba Libres

A fancy name for rum and coke. The only difference is Lime. But at $1.40US each I won't complain either way.
a crocodile crossing the road.

Tikal covers a 16 square km area, scattered with incredible stone structures. After 1500 years of rainforest growth, all were completely covered by soil and vegetation. Many have been excavated already, some are in the process but many will remain as they are. The structures are a combination of tombs, some used for religious purposes and some the residence for the upper class Mayans. One structure towers an impressive 64 metres above the rainforest, we were able to climb to the top via stairs up the side as it is still in the process of being unearthed. The view from the top was of panoramic jungle as far as we could see at least and only 2 other temples reached above the jungle canopy - the rest were well beneath.

Where as the upper class Mayans would have lived in the stone structures, the middle and peasant classes would have lived in huts in and around the stone structures. If you were a beautiful middle class or peasant maiden, you probably had a bit to worry about later in life. Maidens were selected from 7 years onwards to be sacraficed as teenagers, and a particularly gruesome way too.... the maidens were drugged with fungus (I'm sure it didn't help much), then the religious person performing the sacrafice would reach down her throat and rip out her heart. It's hard to believe these days but this would have been a great honour for the girl and her family....

On a brigher note, off to Belize tomorrow... today was our last day in Guatemala and we were saddened to leave, we loved the proud, kind, friendly and gracious people, the variety and incredible beauty of the countryside and of course the food!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb