Tikal


Advertisement
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

After spending two days in Tikal, I am yet again ready for a nap. On the hour and a half drive into the jungle Murry and I met a guy named Paul who decided to join our trek to Tikal.

Nothing can describe Tikal. It is truly amazing at how massive it is. We spent two days at the park and still didn't see everything. The Mayans were a crazy lot, I tell you that much. The large temples soar above the jungle canopy reaching more that 150 feet above the floor of the jungle. Pizotes clamor about the ground (Pizotes are friendly forest rodents with a long nose and tail that stands up), spider monkeys swing through the tree branches, and howler monkeys call out in the distance. The first time you hear a howler monkey you would swear you just heard a dinosaur. If it happens at 3:00am while you are asleep in your tent, you have this thought and then you have to clean the mess out of your pants.

On our final day we decided to hike up temple IV to watch sunset. When we arrived a park guide greeted us and asked if we would like to watch sunset from the back of the temple. Of course we said yes, since from the front there is no view. The guide led us under the NO PASSAR (DO NOT PASS) barrier and to the back of the temple. After more people had left he then asked us if we would like to climb to the very top of the temple for 100Q, we bargained with him and got it down to 50Q($7.50Q = $1US).

Now, the top of this temple is still being excavated, just a little bit of scaffolding is all that prevents you from falling and becoming another sacrifice to the Mayan Gods. To reach the top we had to climb a 40 ft work ladder that was held in place by rusted wire and two tiny shims at the bottom. (Mind you the only people that are suppose to be up here are the archeologists and workers, so you know it was on the up an up) As the guide left he told us not to leave the temple until 6:10pm because a patrol vehicle would be making its rounds. (Another clue this whole thing was legit).

Only in Guatemala can you disregard a DO NOT ENTER barrier, bribe a guide, climb a ladder to sheer death and no organization is going to question this activity. The sunset was well worth the money and we gained a memorable story out of it.

Though I took over 200 pictures, the do not do Tikal justice. If ever you are in C.A: definitely do not skip Tikal!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

FabioFabio
Fabio

Nothing gets the girls going like a cowboy hat, cutoff jean shorts, and a beer belly...sorry ladies, hes taken.
Behind Temple IVBehind Temple IV
Behind Temple IV

Dont try this at home, thats only two feet of stone under me and 150 odd feet to the jungle floor!
Stairway to Heaven...or hell?Stairway to Heaven...or hell?
Stairway to Heaven...or hell?

Im sure we are allowed up here...
OSHA safety stadardsOSHA safety stadards
OSHA safety stadards

Yep, thats just a few shims to hold 180 lbs of weight. Cant tell by the pic, but there is very little contact between the stone and the wood.


25th March 2006

Really cool pictures.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb