Belize to Tikal


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

TikalTikalTikal

On top of Pyramid 2 with Jaguar Pyramid in the background
We reluctantly left Caye Caulker, Belize. It isn´t easy leaving paradise, but there were different Gods dragging us to Guatamala. We arrive in Flores, Guatamala with little trouble, although I was very scared at some points. Guatamala is beautiful, but more importantly VERY CHEAP! We got 2 beds 2 huge meals and 2 drinks for less than 20 us dollars. We met a very nice man from France and will party with him in Antigua in a few days. Tomorrow we will be headed to Rio Dulce and maybe livingston, Guatamala. This morning we went to Tikal to see ginormious Mayan ruins. We had a wonderful time. It was in a very remote location so we had to walk through the jungle to get to the ruins. We were able to see some monkeys in the trees above us...luckily no jaguares. There were several temples to look at and we climed up very very steep wooden stairs to the top of four of them. I am glad this isn´t an American attraction, because it would cost 3x as much and you wouldn´t be able to get within 10 feet of these beautiful ruins. We were actually able to clime around the city without ropes blocking these ancient ruins. The park in Tikal is huge and takes a whole day to see. We saw several large pyramids and got several pictures. Tonight, we are kicking back in Los Amigos, the only hostel in Flores. Flores is an island only connected by one bridge. The surrounding lake is beautiful, although we aren´t going to be swimming in it. We went shopping this afternoon and I bought a lovely, handmade, tapistry and flute for less than 16 usd. We met a wonderful friend from France and plan to meet him in Antigua in a few days.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb