Making chocolates and baking marshmellows


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

So after a short flight back to Mexico city then a short flight to Guatemala city then a private transfer we arrived in the cobbled town of Antigua.

The town has a lovely feel, very small and colourful. We checked into our private room in a hostel called the Yellow house. Very friendly staff and looks a lovely clean hostal with a nice communal area, with phills favourite - hammocks.

We spent the first night having a wonder round the small town, Looking at all the churches, and the clock tower over the road. Then went to a lebanese restaurant. Gorgeous food and place but they were playing disco music very loud which was a bit distracting from the lovely place and food.

On the first day we woke up early and had the free breakfast, which was an amazing selection of black beans, potatoes, tomatoes, fruit, pancakes and eggs cooked for you. Very tasty.

After this we booked into a chocolate class. We then spent the next 3 hours learning about and making chocolates from the actual coco bean. Really good fun and the chocolates were very very tasty!

After this we chilled out and went for dinner in a local restaurant having Guatemalan food, which was hard to find amoung all the pizza pasta places! My dinner was lovely i went for a selection of starters, phills was a little disapointing as it was a little soggy.

Day 2 we awoke very early and were taken by bus to one of the local volcanoes that surround Antigua. With a spanish guide around 12 of us treked to the top of the volcanoe. Lovely walk, sadly the cloud and mist had come in so the views up were disapointing but the sun not being out was probably for the best. At the top we got to bake marshmellows in the rocks which was tasty and fun. There was even a shop at the top selling things made out of the lava and the money went to the local school. The treck back down was gorgeous as the cloud cleared and you could see all around. I got a bit red in the face from the humidity though. Great day.

We finished this day with pasta in one of the many restaurants selling italian.

Day 3 our last day in Antigua we packed up and then got collected by a taxi to take the short drive up the hill to an amazing hostal called Earth lodge! Amazing place we were both gutted we didnt find this place sooner or have time to stay longer. We had lunch while looking at the amazing view of Antigua and chilling in the hammocks, reading ive read about 8 books now. Really lovely afternoon.

We then got a shared van back to Guatimala city and boarded the night coach to Flores. Another city awaits....


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb