Dance in a SKA mosh pit at a surf camp party in El Salvador - check!


Advertisement
Published: December 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

First view of the seaFirst view of the seaFirst view of the sea

Christian, Sacha, me, Seca (El Salvador), Darren (UK), and Marco
There are people in the word that make a list of everything they want to do before they die. Once they complete an activity, they check it off the list. I don´t do this, but if I did, dancing in a SKA mosh pit at a surf camp party in El Salvador would be checked off the list!

Since it is the last weekend that all the roommates would be together we decided to take a trip to the beach in El Salvador. The shuttle picked us up in front of the house at 8:00 am and we were off. The border crossing was easy, no issues - and a couple of hours later we had our first glimpse of the sea. The beach, playa de San Diego was only a 5 minute walk from the hostel - so each day around 3:00 that´s where we headed for a couple of hours swimming and then the sunset. It was incredible, no other tourists on the beach - just a few local families enjoying the afternoon.

The second night we went to a party at a surf camp about a 20 minute drive from the hostel. They had two bands,
Playa de San DiegoPlaya de San DiegoPlaya de San Diego

Other than some fishermen and a few local families we had the beach to ourselves!
on reggae, and one SKA. I know what you are thinking, but please, don´t label based on stereotypes - just kidding label away! It was exactly what you would think it would be! International surfers, local surfers, wana be rastas, actual rastas, bad dancing, and us - maybe slightly out of place but having fun none the less. I joined the moss pit a couple of times but mostly because I had to go to the bathroom. Let me explain - the mosh pit was moving, however violently, in a fast circle in front of the stage. We were facing the stage, basically right in the middle but back from the pit. The bathrooms were to the right of the stage, or my left, about 3 quarters of the way around the mosh pit. I figured the easiest way to get to the bathroom, was to jump into the mosh pit, dance 3 quarters of the way around the circle, and pop out at the bathrooms, use the bathroom, then pop back in for the remaining quarter of the circle. Worked like a charm and a lot of fun - just watch your chin as the elbows are flying!
What to do at the beachWhat to do at the beachWhat to do at the beach

Jump in the waves of course! Floyd and Sacha

All in all a very relaxing weekend at the beach, and the lack of tourists is a refreshing change from Antigua. .

Pictures are taking forever to load - I´ll update later when I have a better connection!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Playing soccer at the beachPlaying soccer at the beach
Playing soccer at the beach

Sacha and Christian
La PlayaLa Playa
La Playa

Some of the local kids at the beach
Sunset at playa de san diegoSunset at playa de san diego
Sunset at playa de san diego

Of course we stayed to see the sunset - simply amazing!
Fish MarketFish Market
Fish Market

Filleted and salted fish hung from all available space at the fish market
Yum - eel!Yum - eel!
Yum - eel!

This is what we had for dinner the second night - BBQ´d eel. It was actually quite good. The white tubes hanging in the background are the air tubes - not sure what they do with them!
Chilling at the HostelChilling at the Hostel
Chilling at the Hostel

The beach is too hot in the early afternoon so we´d typically wait until around 3:30 to head that way. We went to the market, messed around in the pool, or just sat and ate fresh coconut - great way to pass the time!
The mosh pitThe mosh pit
The mosh pit

Great fun at the surf camp party!
Party GoersParty Goers
Party Goers

Is it too late to become a surfer?


19th December 2007

Merry Christmas
Looks like the best part of the trip so far......Sunshine, we could sure use some of that here. I'm glad that we don't need to call in the A team yet. Merry Christmas and I look forward to seeing the entire photo collection when you get home. Be safe!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb