El Salvador - Suchitoto and the Institute of Permaculture


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I took a Collectivo from El Tunco direct to San Salvador, a taxi to the correct bus station (Terminal de Oriente), and then the chicken bus to Suchitoto - a small colonial town about an hour and a half North of San Salvador. It looks like any other typical colonial town - attractive central square dominated by a large chuch, a grid based well organised street system, cobbled streets and adobe terraced houses. The people are open, friendly, and relaxed. They say Buenos Dias when entering an establishment, to people passing in the street, and to those indulging in the town's favourite past time - sitting in the street in the evenings talking.

There are hardly any foreign tourists: only a handful of volunteers of several NGOs based in the town. It is a favourite spot for people from San Salvador to come for the weekend. It is a religious place where the main social scene focuses on going to church, either Catholic or Evangelical, partly because many locals are unable to afford to go out. I'm told that the average wage for a 12 hour day is around $6 - the price of a reasonable meal in a restaurant or four beers.

My purpose of coming to Suchi was to volunteer with the Institute of Permaculture El Salvador, IPES, a organisation that teaches sustainable farming techniques and environmental awareness to local campesino communities. I first became aware of the work of IPES when I attended a talk by the British director, Karen Inwood, at a pemaculture meeting in Leeds about four years ago. I was very inspired by the work and so when I finally had the money to travel I wanted to come and observe the efficacy of permaculture in action.

Most of my time was spent at the demonstration site a 20 minute bus ride from the town, where they are cultivating many different species of plants and trees and demonstrating the techniques taught to the local communities. The site is run purely by local guys trained in permaculture by IPES: Tomas and Miguel with assistance from Antonio and Alex. I spent time helping construct the road, irrigation channels, pruning orange trees, working on the design of "Zone 1" (vegetable growing area near the house), one morning shovelling sand, and a bit of spade watching. It was so incredibly hot that I had to take
Design courseDesign courseDesign course

One of the groups presenting their design using a modelling technique conceived by IPES
it easier than the other guys and rest a little more: heat exhaustion was a possibility! I enjoyed participating in the practical elements of site maintanence and creation; although would admit that I'm hardly accumstomed to manual work, especially in the heat. However, the guys were respectful of my abilities and limits and I felt comfortable to work to my own pace. The guys were incredibly friendly and welcoming and I enjoyed working with them immensely. My conversational ability in Spanish was hugely improved by necessity as none of them speak any English.

I was fortunate that section three of a permaculture design course was being run the first two days after I arrived. In accordance with IPES's "Farmer to Farmer" methodology, IPES are teaching prominent community members from different communities in the Suchitoto area the principles and techniques of permaculture, how to set up a demonstration site, and to teach it to other members of the community. The course was formerly taught by Karen and has been gradually honed and developed with help from Marco (a Salvadoran working for IPES in various capacities) into a very comprehensive permaculture design course with a strong practical emphasis. This is the
Design courseDesign courseDesign course

One of the groups presenting their site design to the rest of the course
first course to be taught purely by Salvadoran teachers trained by IPES, Miguel and Conche, thereby taking the next step to being run by the people for the people.

I was pleased to have the opportunity to meet and chat with many people from the area who, again, were so incredibly welcoming and friendly, and invited me to come and visit their communities. The course atmosphere was buzzing: possibly due to the political consciousness of the people of the Suchitoto area (many were prominent in the Guerrilla movement in the war) the attendees really appeared to the grasping the ideas taught and actively seeking to apply them in their lives.

On day 2 of that section of the design course three guys from a charity funding the design course came to visit. They made a short speech by way of introduction of the work that they were doing and sat for comments by the participants. The participants took turns thanking them for their support and making comments about their feelings. The gist was of emphasising the strong impact the work is having on their lives and their desire for this knowledge. It was so passionate and emphatic that the funders were pretty much reduced to tears.

Conceived by Marco, I was offered the task of producing signs to label the names and uses of various plants and trees on the site. I worked with Alex, a bright agriculture student working at IPES part time, to catalogue all the different plants on the site, to which I then added English and Latin names and uses - an excellent introduction into the plants used in tropical permaculture.

Alex and I quickly became friends and he generously invited me to stay the night with his family in his small, remote community about an hour and half by bus from Suchitoto. I ate with them that evening; a typical meal of cheese, beans, cream and tortillas. I chatted with his extended family of 10 living in the house - mother, father, brothers and their wives and children, and his sister, and slept early at about 8.00pm - as is custom. Alex's home is relatively comfortable by campesino standards and had electricity, a computer, and sealed concrete floors. An interesting insight I had was how content people here are without much to do in the evenings - they simply eat together as a family, chat, sit around, and then go to sleep early. It's a far cry from our world of TV, internet, DVDs, games: necessary to keep out the boredom.

Alex also very kindly gave up his Sunday, his only day off, to take me to visit one of the communities who participated in the design course and invited me. We visited the house of a family that operated a small dairy with around 10 cows and took a tour of their land. Again, they were very welcoming and friendly and plied us with food such as fried fish from the lake, fresh cheese, milk, beans, tortillas, and mango juice.

A little later in the morning we visited another friend from the the design course and lived in the same community with his wife and two kids. His whole family lives in the US but he had been deported due to his tattoos, giving him the appearance of being involved in the 'Maras' or street gangs. The US have been deporting anyone who appears to be involved in gang culture; although he claims he wasn't involved. He receives a remittance from his family in the US and is therefore able to have luxeries out of reach of many campesinos - a truck, TV, fridge, and fan. I am told that 20% of El Salvador's GDP comes from remittances from family members in the US.

My spare time in Suchitoto was spent hanging out with Abi, a volunteer from the UK I originally met in Xela, and loitering in the cafes and bar (yes only one). There are quite a few restaurants in the town, including La Lupita perfectly positioned in the main square and where I often used to sit in the evenings - a good place to socialise with the few locals who could afford to and some of the other foreigners, and the very friendly staff and owner. Abi and I also met various people from San Salvador who often come up for the evening. They were incredibly friendly and often used to just come up to us and invite us to join them.

The owner of my hostel, Robert Broz, with whom I originally couch surfed for free and then rented a room from at a good rate, also part owned the only bar in town - El Necio - a left wing
Event in the central parkEvent in the central parkEvent in the central park

commemorating the 30th anniversary of the assassination of Archbishop Romero and sparking the start of the civil war
hangout full of Cuban and other socialist memorabilia. The bar was only opened weekends but I spent many good nights there drinking rum and chatting socialist politics (in Spanish!). Abi and I also spent several good nights in the disco dancing Cumbia, Salsa, Reggaeton, Merengue with a mix of locals and other foreigners.

I also spent quite a bit of spare time with Karen, who was very welcoming and friendly and obviously knows a lot about El Salvador and Suchitoto. She also generously offered me use of her pool and internet. I ate with her and some visiting friends a couple of times and both Abi and I cooked for her and Marco, who lives in San Salvador but spends the week nights staying at Karen's. Marco is also incredibly knowledgeable, speaks excellent English, and introduced me to a lot of great music from Latin America.

I left after three weeks but could have stayed much longer. Volunteering with IPES gave me a way of bridging the gap between traveller and local, and learning about tropical permaculture and the culture, plants and environment of El Salvador. My journey continues but with the resolution to spend more time working
El NecioEl NecioEl Necio

Talking politics with leftie in the bar
with IPES and fundraising in the future.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

El NecioEl Necio
El Necio

Gilberto the bartender
Elena and IElena and I
Elena and I

Abi and I had lunch with Elena, our friend who works at La Lupita.


28th May 2010

Nice
Mate, this is quite amazing! Looks like you're having a cool time. When you get somewhere where valium is legal can you post me some? Cheers :)
6th June 2010

Thanks mate. I'll see what I can do about the valium!
20th June 2010

NOSTALGIA!
Hi Luke, I was thrilled to have your blog forwarded to me by another friend Miguel who is based in Suchitoto at weekeends and runs an eco-tourist business. I reckon you and I may have first heard Karen at the same talk. Compelling stuff which led to my spending 2008 out there, moving onto to the terreno, living up there in the hut with Tomas and busting a gut (literally) on soil conservation measures/planting zone 3. I live in Leeds. Do you? Maybe we could meet up for a beer and chat over dear friends and old times. Hasta lluego! Peter
20th June 2010

Hey Peter, yes I think we were both at the same talk. I remember that you had previously lived in El Sal and Karen said that you came back for a year. I also live in Leeds but am travelling for at least the next 6 months. Would be great to meet you for a drink when I return. El Sal is a great place and I already want to return
13th July 2010

Looking for IPES!
This is a great blog, and I really appreciated learning about IPES and seeing that it is still operational. I wasn't sure because the phone number and e-mail are not currently operational. I am currently in El Salvador and would like to report on them for The Esperanza Project (www.TheEsperanzaProject.org) but I can't find them! Can you help put me in touch? Thank you!!
27th July 2010

Jealous!
Hello Luke, Just found your travel blog from El Salvador. Great to read it and 'revisit' places I know, lived etc. Good for you - enjoy it all, forget nothing and see what grows. I found you through a trail via permaculture and IPES. I'm a community development worker on Rathlin Island at the moment (N Ireland) and a series of fascinating co-incidences linked my work there to my 'other life' with El Salvador. Have a pupusa for me! All the best, David.
28th July 2010

Hi David, thanks for your comment. It's great to receive comments from people, especially to connect with people I don't yet know. I had a great time in El Sal and hope to go back there in the near future. your work in NI sounds interesting. Did you do any other volunteering in CA/SA? I'm looking for other projects to visit.
9th August 2010

Hola, que interesante
Hola Luke, Ive come across your blog as im researching IPES for a book on issues of development and environment in central america. Im currently in San Jose cost rica, but recently went to El Salvador to visit IPES, amongst other organisations, and my lecturer from the university of Plymouth and I interviewed Karen and met the staff. Ive enjoyed reading about your experience and looking through your photos. I had a great time in Suchi too, its well chilled and such a friendly place. IPES is a cracking organisation and Im glad you had a fantastic time there, sounds like you did some good work. Thanks for posting this. Lucy
6th October 2010

IPES's website
Hiya, I am currently volunteering at IPES and we are trying to promote the newly updated website, if anyone wants to find out any more information about IPES, then it can all be found at http://permacultura.com.sv/

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb