Day 1 (Alot to take in)


Advertisement
Published: February 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Armed Guards EverywhereArmed Guards EverywhereArmed Guards Everywhere

Any place with value has an armed guard.
Yesterday was our first day getting to see the city. When we arrived Thursday night it was dark. We started out the day going down into San Salvador the heart of the city. The traffic down here is crazy. Alot of times there are two lanes with three vehicles and then you have a motorcycle coming down the middle. You will look out the window and see a bus an inch away. But since every one drives the same we did not see many accidents.

We drove by the presidents house and went to see Father Oscar Romero´s tomb. It was at the San Salvador cathedral in the basement. The cathedral is beautiful with painted walls, beautiful stained glass and painted ceiling.

The next stop was the city park that had a memorial wall of the civil war. It listed all those who had died or were missing.

We used a bathroom there that was for both men and women and you have to pay a quarter to the man then he will give you toilet paper and you can use. They share at the same time. As we were coming out a man was coming in.
Father RameroFather RameroFather Ramero

Father was helping the poor. He was assassinated.

We ate lunch at a beautiful outdoor restaraunt. I had a shrimp dish. It was served as the whole shrimp (eyes and all). Then had some rice and corn on the cob.

The culture is so different down here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

Father Ramero is intombed in the basement.
Memorial Wall Civil WarMemorial Wall Civil War
Memorial Wall Civil War

Listed the ones who lost their lives and the ones that are missing.


9th February 2013

Pictures
I am Patty Hinrichs' sister. I can't get the pictures to download. Is there anything I need to do to view them. Can't wait to see them Hope you are having a good trip. Deb
14th February 2013

Sounds like fun.
Disappointed I couldn't print the photos.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb