Pictures from home visits


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The home visits were so interesting. It showed me things I never knew existed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Kids in their houseKids in their house
Kids in their house

In El Salvador, kids are like 2nd parents, they are very responsible. Sometimes there are 8 yr old girls caring for babies because their Mom has to work.
BathtubBathtub
Bathtub

This is where they wash their kids. When they don't fit, the kids stand and the parent pours water over them.
Veronica's houseVeronica's house
Veronica's house

They grow tomatoes on nets across the roof of their house. They call them "hanging tomatoes". Unbelievable how efficient they are and how they use every resource they have.
Baby in a hammockBaby in a hammock
Baby in a hammock

In El Salvador, babies sleep in hammocks. They can't afford cribs. Bt the babies are very exposed to bugs. A man named "mike" donated 100 mosquito nets that he bought at Ikea. We took them around. Because we were so tall compared to them, we hung all the mosquito nets! We delivered about 30 nets in a morning.
LaundryLaundry
Laundry

The men come around with a "stencil/box" to pour concrete to make a laundry station. I got to see 1 being made.
A homeA home
A home

This is the front door to someones home. Out front is the wood for their open fire cooking.
DogsDogs
Dogs

That brown dog was the meanest dog I have ever seen in my life! It was tied down.
Laundry stationLaundry station
Laundry station

The plastic bins are where they do the laundry. These people couldnt afford the concrete station.
Naked girl!Naked girl!
Naked girl!

She was half dressed in the middle of the street! This was ne of the nicer streets in the neighborhood because it is concrete. When I look at these pictures now it makes me think of those commercials about the poor kids in Africa, but they are everywhere.
VeronicaVeronica
Veronica

Veronica at her house. She was so shocked when she saw me. She said "este mi casa!!" This is my house! She was so excited. I got to meet her Mom.
PuppiesPuppies
Puppies

Veronica's cousins puppies
Jardin de secreteJardin de secrete
Jardin de secrete

"Secret Garden" This was like a secret garden. You had to go through their house and woods to get to the garden. We had to duck through everything because it is built for short people!
Carmen MorenaCarmen Morena
Carmen Morena

Carmen the nurse walking to someone's house
So happySo happy
So happy

Everyone loved to have their picture taken. They were all so happy!
Maddie and a familyMaddie and a family
Maddie and a family

Maddie is 6 feet tall!


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb