San Salvador to Guatemala City


Advertisement
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Places Visited. San Salvador, Guatemala City, Lake Atitlan, Xela

Once again we took the easy way out and got the direct first class bus. We could get used to this easy traveling!

Once we got to Guatemala City we got a chicken bus back to Lake Atitlan as I wanted to go back as I loved it so much the first time! Like I have mentioned before there is something about lakes and especially this one. Just amazing and to top it off the cheapest place we have stayed on our trip. I could live here it’s so perfect.

We decided this time to also dive the lake as it is not often you get to dive at altitude 1562 m and it was something else to cross off the I have done list! The dive it self was nothing spectacular but still unique. We got to see a tree which was submerged a few years back still upright and about 10 meters deep, very eerie seeing it gradually appear as you got deeper. There were also underwater hot mud pools from the thermal activity from the surrounding volcanoes. It was nice to stick our cold hands in the warm mud. There wasn’t many fish to look at as the Europeans introduced Bass for sports fishing, the only problem being they ate the majority of the local fish and some of these indigenous to this lake and are now extinct. That was a clever idea! The place we stayed was the home of the dive centre and was a nice place to stay with home cooked meals every night and everybody sat around a large table and very friendly and socialable. They also have a fancy dress party every Saturday night, so we had to stay for that! They have a huge wardrobe to select your outfit and surprise surprise most options are for blokes to dress as women! I picked out a lovely blue number which flattered my figure and I looked gorgeous and got chatted up all night! To top it off I had a pair of thrilly knickers and balloons for boobs, Michelle was well turned on! Michelle wore a very bright colored dress with florescent pink fish net tights. Typically she suited it and I looked like Les Dawson!! Lots of great pictures!

After Santa Cruz we went back to San Pedro and stayed at the same place as last time for a few nights. We just chilled out got drunk and ate like kings. The best was the fish and chips in a makeshift English pub! They were fantastic and nearly as good as home and they even had vinegar!! We were very excited and to top it off for Michelle they also had Tetley teabags, so she had that for desert. One very happy lady that night!

After recharging our batteries we headed back to Xela the place we were learning our Spanish, to pick up our other backpack! It’s amazing what shit we have, in the last 6 weeks we have not needed any of the stuff! Clothes we hardly wear, souvenirs that we will have to send home and the winter clothes which we have to keep for when we hit South America! All a pain in the arse and I think we have to throw some stuff away as it’s best to travel light as it’s a lot less hassle!

It was good to back in Xela and to catch up with a few friends and sort a few things out. Our next steps are to go to Honduras for Christmas and New Year.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 100; dbt: 0.1334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb