Background: Explored and claimed by Columbus on his first voyage in 1492, the island of Hispaniola became a springboard for Spanish conquest of the Caribbean and the American mainland. In 1697, Spain recognized French dominion over the western third of the island, which in 1804 became Haiti. The remainder of the island, by then known as Santo Domingo, sought to gain its own independence in 1821, but was conquered and ruled by the Haitians for 22 years; it finally attained independence as the Dominican Republic in 1844. In 1861, the Dominicans voluntarily returned to the Spanish Empire, but two years later they launched a war that restored independence in 1865. A legacy of unsettled, mostly non-representative, rule for much of its subsequent history was brought to an end in 1966 when Joaquin BALAGUER became president. He maintained a tight grip on power for most of the next 30 years when international reaction to flawed elections forced him to curtail his term in 1996. Since then, regular competitive elections have been held in which opposition candidates have won the presidency. The Dominican economy has had one of the fastest growth rates in the hemisphere over the past decade.
Photos from Santiago
Blogs from Santiago
Latest Blogs from Santiago
- April 27th 2013 Poemas Variadas Por Nosotros
by Words: 340 Photos: 0
- April 27th 2013 Centro Leon
by Words: 316 Photos: 0
- April 25th 2013 Jump of Terror!
by Words: 159 Photos: 2
- April 24th 2013 Waiting for Dinner.
by Words: 102 Photos: 4
- July 6th 2012 Santiago
by Words: 1313 Photos: 0
- May 3rd 2012 It's Mango Season!
by Words: 637 Photos: 5
- April 16th 2012 Week 3 in the DR
by Words: 1184 Photos: 77
- April 15th 2012 Final Week at the ILAC Mission
by Words: 567 Photos: 39
- April 1st 2012 Week 2 of the DR
by Words: 378 Photos: 25
- March 31st 2012 Hello Sunshine - Week 1 in the DR
by Words: 1328 Photos: 128
- December 14th 2010 All's said and done...
by Words: 303 Photos: 0
- November 5th 2010 It's been a looong time...
by Words: 3877 Photos: 0
- September 30th 2010 Ohhhh, my dinner
by Words: 475 Photos: 0
- September 26th 2010 Pancakes in the DR= always something!
by Words: 1302 Photos: 0
- September 10th 2010 Pancakes and hot milk...
by Words: 1447 Photos: 0
- August 26th 2010 YIKES
by Words: 745 Photos: 0
- August 23rd 2010 First Entry!
by Words: 1157 Photos: 0
- May 3rd 2010 I didn't know sitting could hurt - Santiago
by Words: 844 Photos: 9
- August 25th 2009 After my first weekend
by Words: 220 Photos: 12
- August 20th 2009 Beginning Days in the DR!
by Words: 368 Photos: 14