Background: Once the center of the Caribbean slave trade, the island of Curacao was hard hit by the abolition of slavery in 1863. Its prosperity (and that of neighboring Aruba) was restored in the early 20th century with the construction of oil refineries to service the newly discovered Venezuelan oil fields. The island of Saint Martin is shared with France; its southern portion is named Sint Maarten and is part of the Netherlands Antilles; its northern portion is called Saint-Martin and is part of Guadeloupe (France).
Photos from Curaçao
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Curaçao
Latest Blogs from Curaçao
- December 30th 2012 A Caribbean Christmas - Curacao
by Words: 2702 Photos: 16
- December 9th 2012 Curacao 3-2009
by Words: 14 Photos: 3
- March 6th 2011 DAY NINE
by Words: 704 Photos: 0
- October 19th 2010 Curacao - 7 Day S. Caribbean Cruise
by Words: 258 Photos: 16
- October 17th 2010 Curaçao!
by Words: 1135 Photos: 16
- February 21st 2009 Home for two weeks: CURAÇAO!
by Words: 1248 Photos: 26
- December 21st 2008 Curacao
by Words: 28 Photos: 2
- November 8th 2008 Repositioning Cruise - Curacao!
by Words: 125 Photos: 12
- May 17th 2008 Curacao
by Words: 119 Photos: 33
- February 12th 2008 Karnaval, my little ostrich friend and hanging out in a cave
by Words: 1274 Photos: 0
- February 12th 2008 Photos of Curacao
by Words: 3 Photos: 28
- February 11th 2008 Curacao
by Words: 2417 Photos: 44
- February 2nd 2008 Snorkelling in the Deep Blue Sea and Felis Karnaval!
by Words: 743 Photos: 0
- January 28th 2008 Vamos en la playa en in diferentes partes del pais!
by Words: 461 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2008 Bon dia de Willemstad, Curacao!
by Words: 474 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2008 Yes it's true I ate an iguana!
by Words: 650 Photos: 0
- November 26th 2007 A Little Flat in Bonaire?
by Words: 2121 Photos: 21
- November 25th 2007 Supposedly South of the Hurricane Track
by Words: 184 Photos: 19
- May 31st 2007 The Colorfully Wonderful Architecture of Curacao
by Words: 302 Photos: 52
- May 31st 2007 All things Korsou
by Words: 717 Photos: 68