By the Rivers of Trinidad


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Centro » Trinidad
October 30th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It is Thursday night and we´re in the mood for dancing. But the tourist bars in Trinidad are, well, er, touristy. Listening to the Cuban bands in the Casa de la Musica felt like we´d headed to Temple Bar in Dublin to hear some ´real Irish traditional music´. So we hooked up with some new Cuban friends we met in Havana and they invited us to tag along (gracias Marie y Nelson).

Gone midnight, the club is in full flow. I didn´t catch the name - it was dark, but coming along Jose Marti out of town, turn left at the far corner of the Parque Cespedes onto Lino Perez and its on the right, 50c in. And you can bring your own rum!

Housed in an old colonial building, the dancefloor is the outside central courtyard. A live band - three singers with great vocals, guitars, bass, drums, bongos, two trumpets and a trombone - pumped out tune after tune of son, salsa and reggae. Locals were seriously shaking their bootie around under the stars and the whole place had a feel happy vibe.

Then came the floor filler. A reggaeton version of The Rivers of Babylon.
Classic.

From Jess (..."who remembers Zion"!!)

Advertisement



7th November 2008

Photos,please
Hi Guys, at last managed to hook into the blog after Jess's email. Its 7.30am here, cold,dark and freezing. I wanna come dancin' by the rivers of wherever but I've got to settle for 30 lengths of Crewe pool - how exotic is that?Anyway, the folks had a great time in Mexico with y'all- but your Mum's taken to her bed with exhaustion- too many Mohitas and Salsa?? Being that little bit older than me she remembers Boney M too....... Looking forward to some piccies soon- enjoy!

Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb