Volunteer Service Project at La Carpio (by Patricia)


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Walk through La Carpio 7 secs
2: LaTasha Drilling 12 secs
3: Small Work Space 7 secs
4: Xee with a Hammer 13 secs
5: Gail Talks to the Group 23 secs
6: Part of the Play 13 secs
7: Song 17 secs
Last week as part of the Costa Rican adventure, we all took part in a volunteer project. The project was with an incredible group, the Costa Rican Humanitarian Foundation (CRHF), founded by Gail Nystrom. Her work and passion for the people of La Carpio is incredible. Her life is devoted to improving the lives of women who had been living in unbearable conditions in Nicaragua and wanted better lives for their children and themselves. So to walk down the roads, made of mud and rock, and to pass by their homes, made of scrap tin or other materials, was overwhelming. These people believed that these homes of tin were incredible and almost heaven to them. In all honesty, I myself would believe that the conditions were unlivable. It was such a shock to walk by and witness something that you have only seen in pictures or on TV. These places are very much real and part of the people's everyday lives. Though it was overwhelming at first, to get in with the people and build something that could help them was so humbling and amazing. I do wish that we could have done more. But as we were told, every little bit someone does is enough and something big for the person in need. That was probably one of the greatest and most humbling experiences I have ever had. I will never be able to forget that day, the people, and Ms. Gail and all of her hard work. This was truly an unforgettable and once-in-a-lifetime experience.

(For more information on the Costa Rican Humanitarian Foundation and La Carpio, see www.crhf.org.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Gail Nystrom Speaking to the GroupGail Nystrom Speaking to the Group
Gail Nystrom Speaking to the Group

CRHF founder, Gail Nystrom, gave an amazing talk to put La Carpio and the people there into context for our group.
Ready to WorkReady to Work
Ready to Work

Our group picked up the materials and prepared to build bunk beds.
Tough WalkingTough Walking
Tough Walking

Some of the streets were very rough for walking.
Stopping to TalkStopping to Talk
Stopping to Talk

We met and talked to some little people along the way.
Getting to WorkGetting to Work
Getting to Work

We rotated jobs, with some people sanding wood and others constructing the bunk beds. Here Patricia is sanding a crossbar.
Under ConstructionUnder Construction
Under Construction

Here Ryan and Candace are putting parts of the bed together with the help of a regular CRHF volunteer.
Getting to Know the FamilyGetting to Know the Family
Getting to Know the Family

Gina and Sarah are getting to know some of the other family members.
Kim and JennyKim and Jenny
Kim and Jenny

Most members of the group took a turn helping with the construction.
Tiny KitchenTiny Kitchen
Tiny Kitchen

Candace is in the tiny kitchen of the house. She and everyone else clap when the bunk bed is completed.
HumblingHumbling
Humbling

LaTasha poses with the mother of the children who will sleep in the bed.
Ryan & Co.Ryan & Co.
Ryan & Co.

Ryan sits with one of the children who will use the bed.
Returning to the CenterReturning to the Center
Returning to the Center

The group returns to the center after constructing the bed.
BeautificationBeautification
Beautification

An example of some of the beautification efforts of the CRHF in La Carpio.
Watching the PlayWatching the Play
Watching the Play

We were absolutely absorbed in a play that the women and children put on for us. It was the story of why many of the women and children left Nicaragua and came to La Carpio.
The PlayThe Play
The Play

This woman and her children left Nicaragua because there was no hope for a decent life for them there.
Stole the ShowStole the Show
Stole the Show

This cute little guy stole the show!


21st June 2012

For More Information
For an excellent 7-minute video on the Costa Rican Humanitarian Foundation and la Carpio, go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBF0zmdaHQ.
21st June 2012

Enjoying
I am really enjoying seeing all the pics of Costa Rica. My very best friend, Eileen, is on the trip with ASU, and I am enjoying seeing her in some of the pics too. It is a beautiful countryside, and I feel for the people there. It was wonderful seeing what is being done to help the people. I am also enjoying the write-ups with the information about what the group has been doing and visiting sights. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!!!
22nd January 2013

Pictures
Hi, Mi name is James and I am working on developing the CRHF website. I found this site with several great pics and was wondering who I can contact regarding perhaps using a couple of them. Thank you.

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb