El Trapiche (by Monique)


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Monique, author of this entryMonique, author of this entryMonique, author of this entry

With her first host mother in Heredia
Last ¨Jueves¨ (Thursday), the class was in for a treat (literally)! We were fortunate enough to satisfy our sweet tooth and our curiosity by touring El Trapiche, which is one of Costa Rica´s traditional sugar-mills. Here the class was able to be educated on how some of the agriculture of Costa Rica is grown. With our tour guide, Jairo, we took a short walk through the farm where we got a glimpse of the many plantations that Trapiche offered, such as sugar cane, coffee, bananas, plantains, and pineapples. Jairo took us through the entire coffee process, we sampled authentic sugar cane, made our own chocolate, and we even got a neat thrill out of riding a Costa Rican ox cart! Oh, and to top it off, we even experienced the process of making liquor out of the sugar cane, which I politely chose to not partake in. Next, we received a demonstration of the different types of the typical trapiches (sugar cane mills). There were three types in the farm, a manual one, an oxen mill and a water mill. The amazing part is that we got to see all of them running! Shortly after, the tour led into the actual candy making ¨lab¨ where artisanal sugar cane candy is made and we all participated in making fresh candy from sugar fresh off the press! Finally, Jairo, our wonderful guide, led us to a kitchen where we all received a HOME cooked, authentic Costa Rican meal from wife of the Farm/Sugar mill owner herself, and it was amazing. I suppose it´s fair to say that the tour was definitely worth the potential cavities :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb