The Eternal Children's Rainforest is actually a cloud forest


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Or at least, I think it is. The Eternal Children's Rainforest (or El Bosque Eterno de Los Ninos - it sounds better in Spanish) is a preserve created by schoolchildren around the world. Mainly it is reserved as a wild place, but there is one trail, that we could pick up near our hotel, called "Sendero Bajo De Tigre". I believe we breakfasted at Stella's Bakery that day, and continued up the road to the turnoff. We were being followed by a Dalmatian with a fresh wound on his leg. When he ran, he would pick up that leg and run with three legs. Generally he seemed friendly and inclined to be with us, although we had not fed him. However, walking to the reserve, Kai had his first encounter with unfriendly "woof-woofs". The dalmatian drew the wrath of some very large guard dogs. They were sticking their head between the bars and slamming against the gate with all the force of their bodies, barking loudly and wildly. We nearly ran through there - I kept saying "don't make eye contact" and we just went fast and determined. When we returned later, it turned out all the fuss was due to the dog with us, and not us. He is apparently a much-hated dog in the area, often fighting with other dogs. He is probably a stray.

At the info center, the woman there shooed off the dog, as they are not allowed in the preserve. She gave us the lay of the land and we saw that we could hike most of the trail, leaving off the steep "red" portion. In my mind I am already mixing up the Children's Rainforest with the Ecological Sanctuary we visited later that week. But the Children's Rainforest really only had one loop trail, with the difficult section creating a figure 8 of sorts to extend the walk longer, or turn around and go back. Both places were secondary growth forests ("premontane", whatever that means, too).

We did see our first agouti here, hard to spot, in all the underbrush and we were quite proud for it. However, aside from a glimpse of a few birds in the underbrush, that was the last animal we spotted in this reserve. It was a nice hike, strenuous towards the end, and we took turns carrying Kai's backpack. This reserve gives you a guidebook to borrow that has some text for each numbered sign, like what animals are seen there, and how to spot them or hear them, or about a particular plant or insect.

At this point, I can't remember what we did with the rest of the day. I believe we tried to go to the Bat Jungle but it was not open and we had dinner at Cafe Cabure overlooking the mountains. Another frustrating dinner with kai as he wanted to run around and we were dangerously high up on a balcony if he decided to climb under the railing - which he attempted three times. The food was good but I had to rush my meal - we both did - to stay on top of his antics. I believe the afternoon was spent napping - or attempting to nap - as most days were. We were rising so early (me around 4-5am every day) and then exerting so much energy that we were easily tired by the afternoon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb