day 4


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!

Today we all went zip lining through the jungle treetops, as high as 150 feet at the top. We were surrounded by sloths and on the ground by Coatis. Plenty of large ants and hornets, as well as large spiders and lots of termite nests. Today's bait was Callum who volunteered to demonstrate the action of the jaws of a soldier leaf cutter ant (these used to be used as sutures for wounds). The guide demonstrated how the ant's jaws gripped together a wound using a pinch of skin on Callum's hand (no damage caused !). The zip lining involved swathing ourselves in harnesses and helmets, which in 30 degree temperatures was quite a sweat (especially for Dan).
After lunch a lazy afternoon round the pool with a water polo game (the girls claimed a win and the gentlemen accepted "defeat"). This evening anotyher planned excursion to spot frogs. Yesterday James Evry found a red eyed tree frog and so far this evening we have seen a boa in one of the palm trees by the pool.
Everyone is beginning to glow a bit after some hot sunny days. Tomorrow we plan to go back to the beach after white water rafting. Hopefully there will be smaller waves and more sand for beach volleyball. A big tropical storm is brewing; could bode well for the rafting.
Some photos should appear next....



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb