Don't pinch me


Advertisement
Published: April 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Poison dart frogs? Howler monkeys? Three-toed sloth? If I am dreaming don't pinch me because I don't want to wake up!

We arose this morning in the lovely Hotel Bougainvillea just outside of San Jose and Marika, Will and I grabbed our binocluars and headed out into the acres and acres of grounds. We saw motmots with long tails, cinnamon cuckoos, orchids and then a ginormous morpho butterfly lazily fluttered by in its resplendent blue glory.

After breakfast Umberto (who shares hiis name with Will's best friend) and Arianna picked us up and drove us from our hotel to the Caribbean coast north of Limon. We had amazing adventures en route and took advantage of every second of our five hours together to learn about Costa Rica from our 25 year old guide, Arianna whose range and depth of knowledge seemed inexhaustable. Umberto pullled over as he had seen what turned out to be a three-toed sloth hanging from a nearby tree. As we looked at the sloth a bright flash of yellow signalled an oropendula flying in to share the limelight.

We turned off the highway and the last couple hours were on a rough road that snaked through mainly banana plantations to the Caribbean. We stopped to watch huge bunches of bananas moved by zip line, sorted, washed, bagged and crated in the same boxes we see them in at the local store. Lots of learning about the actions of the fruit multinationals, the strain pineapple production places on the soil and a recent NGO success in stopping the president from permitting new bauxite and aluminum mining.

Across the street an old roadside vendor gaver us ice-chilled fresh coconuts with straws in them to drink the lovely coconut water. He also had a Hercules Beetle, slightly smaller than a Honda which Marika and I held - its feet were really spiky and it had a HUGE snout which it uses in roughing up other Hercules beetles.

When we arrived at the Coast we were in the true rainforest jungle. Norton met us with a flat bottom boat that sped us along the canals and rivers just a spit of land away from the Caribbean. We watrched a troupe of howler monkeys in the trees and then stopped to see a huge odd nocturnal bird (Great Pootoo) that looked like a stump way up a tree branch.

As we arrived at the exquisite Tortuguero Lodge and Gardens we were met at the dock by the staff waving and greeting us. We went for a truly luscious lunch of a green papaya fruit seviche followed by local beef tenderloin that had been speared on carved sugar cane and grilled.

After lunch and a briefing about how to avoid certain death by eyelash viper (which is abundant in the jungle around the Lodge), crocodile in the adjacent river and poison dart frogs, we set off alone for a hike through the jungle. While we didn't see vipers I am sure many saw us. We were tickled to see many, many tiny strawberry-hued poison dart frogs, huge moths, small bats and an assortmnent of lizards and incessant jungle noises that yes sound just like the jungle noises you hear in hollywood movies. We also spotted a riot of ants that appeared to be moving their colony.

When strolling by the pool, Will bumped a branch and it turned out to be a long incredibly thin vine snake of some sort (non-poisonous).

We swam in the pool and dined on sea bass before turning in for an early night.

This eco-Lodge is an emblem of simple luxury and we were lucky to be upgraded to their only penthouse as a treat. Our front balcony and hammocks look out over the river and the Caribbean beyond and our back balcony and both bathrooms and showers are smack dab in the rainforest jungle. Lovely hues of wood, three beds and a couple huge showers a tapir and manatee could share. The eco-lodge forgoes air conditioning but the ceiling fans are plenty to keep us cool along with the cross breezes from the ocean and river. Since there are no windows and only screens as I write this and the family sleeps, I am listening to a serenade off oodles of insects and frogs. We are guaranteed a haunting and screeching alarm at about 5 AM courtesy of the very territorial and eerie howler monkeys who's booming creepy guttural challenges echo throoughout the rainforest each dawn.

We are extraordinarily lucky to be able to participate in something like this.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



26th April 2012

Incredible!!!
Kim, Bruce, Marika, and Will I must say I am extremely envious of the great adventure you are having! It is such a pleasure to follow your blog. Loved the picture of Marika and Will looking up into the jungle with their binoculars! Kim, you have worked so very hard this year and deserve every minute. Get lots of celebrating in! You are such an incredible family. Wishing you a safe and spectacular rest of the trip. Adios! Deb
27th April 2012

Wow!
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fantastic time so far!!! Hayden would like a poison dart frog as a pet!
27th April 2012

OOOOHHHHHH!
These are great posts! So glad you are having a great time -- be careful near those 'deadly' creatures!!! Love from all of us.
28th April 2012

Wow
The lucky ones are my grandchildren. What an experience for them.
30th April 2012

Hola
Hola, I should have tried harder to convince Deb to let me join your family as your official translator. What a fantastic experience for your family. I am definitely planning a trip to Costa Rica with my family. Your pics are amazing. I can't wait to show the students tomorrow. They will be so excited. Careful with the poisonous creatures!!! A big hug Mme Marthita
2nd May 2012

TOO COOL!
You guys! Your stories rule! I can't believe you held those beetles in your hands...ewwwww. Can't wait to read your next blog! Love, Elaine
3rd May 2012
Chiukllked fresh roadside cocoonut

Coconut envy
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
3rd May 2012
Will bumped into this snake

Fabulous photos
The photos are stunning, especially the ones of the poisonous dart frog and the thankfully non-poisonous vine snake that Will bumped into:)

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb