We Made It!


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Howl Howl Howl

Howl came along to Costa Rica! He noticed that there was not much red meat on the menu at the restaurant.
We arrived safely yesterday with no complications or problems. Of course, everyone was exhausted after a mostly sleepless night (since we had to be at the airport in Memphis at 4:30 am!) But the excitement of finally arriving in Costa Rica and seeing the school and San Joaquin, where we will be living for the next two weeks, kept us going until the host families arrived at the school at around 5:30. The plane landed on time just before noon, but we were quite busy during those 5+ hours. After the 15-minute drive from the airport to San Joaquin, the first order of business was lunch. We walked together from the school to town and ate together in a typical restaurant, then walked back to the school for the placement test, orientation, photo ID pictures, and tour of the school. It was obvious right from the start that no one is ever in a hurry in Costa Rica, and all of these activities took place at a very relaxing pace. That was a welcome relief after all of the stress of packing and getting to the airport on time. (Did I mention that we had to be there at 4:30 am?)
Placement TestPlacement TestPlacement Test

Everyone worked hard on the placement test
There was even a bit of WiFi and basketball time as we waited for the host families to arrive. When they started arriving, each student was introduced, one by one, to his or her host family. I tried to get a picture of each one, but Terry and Natalie were transported to their homes by extended family members or the CPI (our school) driver, so there are no pictures of them with their families yet.

This morning, everyone arrived for class on time and reported multiple and varied adventures regarding last night's dinner and this morning's shower experiences. We will save those stories to tell you in person or later in this blog.

All in all, it was a great arrival. Enjoy the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

School ID PhotoSchool ID Photo
School ID Photo

Terry is getting his picture taken for his ID photo.
Another photoAnother photo
Another photo

Chihiro getting her CPI ID card photo taken
OrientationOrientation
Orientation

The ASU group listens while CPI staff talks about the host families, safety, food, and lots of other things
Tour of CPITour of CPI
Tour of CPI

The group takes a tour of the school
In the SchoolIn the School
In the School

The group walks through the school.
Information Overload!Information Overload!
Information Overload!

Everyone listens while our CPI group assistant, Christina, give more information about the facilities.
RelaxingRelaxing
Relaxing

Samantha, Lindsay and Howl relax on the volleyball court.
LindsayLindsay
Lindsay

Lindsay's host mother
JonathanJonathan
Jonathan

Jonathan's host family
SeanSean
Sean

Sean's host mother (or maybe sister?)
LesleyLesley
Lesley

Lesley's host mother
Xeng Xeng
Xeng

Xeng with his host mother (or maybe this is a sister)
ChihiroChihiro
Chihiro

Chihiro and her host mother
LakariaLakaria
Lakaria

Lakaria and her host mother
SamanthaSamantha
Samantha

Samantha with her host mother
MoniqueMonique
Monique

Monique and her host mother
EmilyEmily
Emily

Emily with her host mother
ClassClass
Class

Samantha, Terry, Lindsay and Emily right before their first class together this morning


3rd June 2013

Love the pictures!
Glad to hear you all made it - looks like you are having fun already! Thanks so much for posting the pictures so quickly!
3rd June 2013

Love all the photos!
So glad you have all arrived safe! I love the pictures with the host families. Tell Emily and Sean to be good!
3rd June 2013

So glad to see the pictures
Glad to know that the group arrived safely! I loved the pictures. Hope you all enjoy this opportunity of a lifetime.

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1108s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb