Grecia


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is a little late in getting published as we haven´t been to the internet cafe lately. Sorry for the delay. ICE, the internet company was out yesterday to see about having it installed in the house. They have to fix a wire underground then... possibly next week we´ll have internet. Keep your fingers crossed! Jen

Grecia is about 30 kilometers southeast of San Ramon. We headed out on our mission to find the World of Snakes for Callista. Mundo de los Serpientes has been on her mind since we passed the sign weeks ago while furniture shopping in the town of Sarchi. For those who aren’t aware, our daughter Callista LOVES snakes much to my dismay. Not one to discourage her passion I went along to learn what I could about the snakes I may come in contact with in the country. We had seen either a coral or false coral snake at on our first trip to Costa Rica near our property. I figured it was wise to learn what would or could hurt us before it’s too late.

At World of Snakes we learned there is no reason to kill snakes as they provide many benefits
Saturday in the ParkSaturday in the ParkSaturday in the Park

Dancing in Grecia´s central park
to the eco-system. Many people kill snakes out of fear and lack of knowledge. Some say the $11 admission for adults and $6 for children is overpriced. I think it was a fair price for our individual guided tour of over 150 snakes in glass cages. Our guide, Miller was well informed and provided us with lists of snakes in English & Spanish with poisonous snakes in bold letters. We are now aware of what we may encounter on our property or elsewhere in our travels around the country. While I’m still not enthusiastic about snakes I am well informed and have a healthy respect for them. I won’t be killing any snakes in the future. Thanks to the owners for teaching me, the unwilling learner. I recommend this place to anyone who isn’t fond of snakes as well as those who are.

To get to world of snakes watch for the sign on the right side of the main road for Sarchi. There is a tiny sign below the sign for Sarchi but it is easy to miss. For Sarch turn right, for World of Snakes turn left. Go dawn the road for just a few minutes and you’ll see the sign on the right. It’s a hard or sharp right turn into the property. Be aware there is an alarm that goes off as you pull thru the gate. It is startling but given what they have behind the gates it’s wise for them to know when someone enters the property. On display there are around 100 or so snakes. In the private area we were told there are over four thousand.

Bear even had an encounter with a crocodile! What a treat to see him walk away thinking he’d beaten the mean ole crock. The croc was well secured behind a fence and there was no threat to Bear. He was so proud of himself. His self image had been battered when we arrived and the owners had us bring him out of the truck to enjoy the walk thru the park with us. When we began our walk the resident tom cat decided Bear would be his lunch. I’ve never seen such an aggressive cat. He lunged at Bear ready to rip his head off. The owners had to lock him up for Bears safety. Sheila, your cat has nothing on this guy!
False coralFalse coralFalse coral

We´ve since seen a real coral at our Canadian friends house!

After our adventure we were all ready for a bite to eat and something less, well icky. We went back to Grecia for lunch and a banana split. Bill and Callista are in search of the best U.S. style banana split in the country. This one was better than the last but still no cherries on top, Callista’s favorite. After lunch we took Bear for a walk in the central park and watched break dancers practice their craft for all to watch. It was another beautiful Saturday in the park.

Pura Vida,
Jen


Advertisement



30th March 2006

So fun!!!
Hello Sheridan Family!! I have to say that my class was very excited to see the pictures and hear about your slithery adventure! We all had a great time last week at science camp, but they said this looked even better! I am so glad that you are getting settled and that you are able to experience such amazing things just minutes from your doorstep! We moved into our new house last week, so we have boxes everywhere, but we love it and are so excited....I'll take pictures and send them soon! Hugs, Jenn
30th March 2006

snakes
Hi, As you may remember we have our own snakes in AZ. I saw a nice fat rattler this week. They will be coming out now that the weather is getting warm. Talk to you soon. Love
4th April 2006

You guys are doing such cool things. Th epictures really helps me feel like I am right there, which of course with the snakes is a little unnerving. I can never remember how you are supposed to tell them apart. How is the house planning coming? What is the next step? I am amazed by your views. Do you have internet yet? How is Callista doing in school? Has Bill found a place to golf and if so, what did he think? What is the best part of being there. These are the questions that inquiring minds what to know. Miss you , Maura

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 79; dbt: 0.104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb