Western Caribbean Cruise - Grand Cayman


Advertisement
Published: November 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sailing Day



Spent our first day on board sailing our way to our first destination. As predicted, there were several storms off the bough, but the captain managed to skirt them all! Spent all day in the sun (eek!), and spent the evening at the Captains Welcome Aboard Cocktail party -- where we met Alex. After our first fancy dinner, we met back up with Alex & went dancing at Club Hot! (Mostly older people swinging to the the 50's-60's-70's. It was a blast!

Grand Cayman



First port of call! We decided not to take any excursions, but rather grab a taxi & explore the town. Because of Hurricane Gustov, the waters were too rough to land in Georgetown, so we had to tender in about a 10 minutes south of there. There were all sorts of taxis lined up to take everyone down the road.

Gorgeous waters & beaches!!! First thing was first, we bought some Aloe Vera (yeah, for Michelle & my burns), filled up our water bottles, and then found a cheap internet cafe for some last minute biz I couldn't take care fo before we left home. We hung out a bit & did some shopping before grabbing a bus/taxi out to 7 mile beach for a bite to eat & some beach time. Wow! Was that an expensive "snack" that we shared... $60 for 3 non-alcoholic smoothie drinks, a fish sandwich and fish & chips! AH, but it was the experience ;-)

Thought we'd be smart & make our way back a little early to avoid the excursion crowds... think again. Two other ships had also been re-routed because of the hurricane, so we were all trying to tender at the same time. Not to worry, we just climbed right back into the water at the beach by the pier & waited our turn. Took over an hour to board everyone back. There were actually fights that broke out... Thanks goodness for being patient ;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb