British Virgin Islands


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived early morning after an overnight passage. At 85 miles, it's just longer than a full day's sail so we thought we'd sail through the night instead. At 11pm, we had to reef heavily after going to fast and needing to slow down. With four boats doing the same we were comparing notes on how much more uncomfortable it felt taking the sail area down and wallowing more in the sea state. Still, we all made it across and had a restful day of catching up on rest.

The customs was a thoroughly unpleasant experience here in Virgin Gorda. But after clearing in we set about exploring the island and making plans for exploring the Virgin Islands.

It is excellent sailing here, if busy with huge fleets of charter boats based here.

We went snorkelling at the Baths, very busy with a cruise ship in Tortola. After that experiece, we decided to head down towards Little Harbour on Peter Island, after Caduceus called us up to say that it was lovely and there was space beside them. With it being so busy here, there isn't a shortage of good anchorages but they can get over crowded and we'd rather get away from the crowds. There were some lovely sunset here.

We headed over the Jost Van Dyke to meet up to go out for a meal with some of the others. Soaked up the atmosphere in Soper's Hole and then discovered a problem with our alternator. We then headed over to Road Town, Tortola and get it changed out quite painlessly.

We caught the Royal Wedding the morning before leaving for Bermuda. The BVI's were very social and relaxing but now alas it's time to start the journey home...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb