River, Jungle & Cave Exploration . . .


Advertisement
Published: February 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we’re in Belize and a crew tour was offered. Jenny, Duain (the directors of the younger teen club) and I signed up to go together and we were part of a group of about 40 crew members. Belize is a tender port, so we started the day with a 20 minute ride to shore where we then boarded a smaller motor boat. That boat took us down the coast a bit to a nearby river. We spent about an hour sailing up the river searching for wildlife. There were tons of different birds in the mangroves at the sides of the river and swooping overhead. We saw some crocodiles too and our guide even pulled up close to shore by one. It was just sitting there sunning – until it suddenly leapt back into the water. Boy did a bunch of the crew scream when that happened! We also saw a big iguana up in one of the trees. I’ve seen lots of iguanas down in the ports, but this one was bright orange! There was also an anteater up in one of the trees.

Eventually we stopped at a dock and got out for the next part of the tour – 4x4 jeep rides through the jungle! We split into small groups. We grouped up with some musicians, including James who was the driver for our group. We had to drive for quite awhile on the roads and highway before reaching the jungle. Then the fun really began – it was true off-roading, up and down hills, around trees, mud splashing up everywhere. We were laughing so much.

We reached a little park area where we were then sorted into other groups for a little hike/exploration. We were taken across a suspension bridge – which though it wasn’t that high, still got me nervous! I didn’t expect to be scared, but only about 10 feet out onto it, it was swinging and swaying away and I just started laughing/crying hysterically. On the other side of the bridge, we had a short walk through the jungle to a cave. We were then lead through the cave, climbing over and under rocks. We’d already seen some bats gathered near the boat dock and of course in the cave there were more.

After the cave exploration, we were served lunch in a picnic area. The food was homemade and really nice! That’s also when the bar opened – unlimited rum punch which of course the crew got wild about. The boat ride back to the ship was much more eventful than the one out!

It was a really great day and so nice to share with friends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.515s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 31; qc: 144; dbt: 0.3384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb