Caye Caulker - Belize


Advertisement
Published: December 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

PA010022PA010022PA010022

Tulum beach - the end of the world
Hi guys,

Lots to report, been on the go so haven't had internet for a while.

Not sure where we were up to on here so I will do a full report.



Merida - a beautiful colonial, truly Mexican town where we were just before the wedding.

This was one of the most friendly places we have ever been. The city had a beautiful central square where the town would sit and watch the world go by (nobody hurries in Mexico EVER) Just sitting there we were approached by locals, not to sell us anything or harass us but just to chat. To tell us information about their city or to practise their English.

We got to see a Mexican wedding and we got to witness the Fiesta at the weekend when the centre closes to cars and the locals sing and dance in the streets.

From Merida we went to an underground freshwater cave called a Cenote. Getting there was an adventure. We had to get a local collectivo, then a (Parents don't read this bit - please skip to the below) motorcycle tuk-tuk driven by a 13 year old Mexican kid with a death wish very very fast down a very bumpy road with three of us piled on top of each other in a seat clearly made for 2 small adults maximum. This was followed by a 3km trip down an ancient rail track through the jungle which was just 2 peices of metal not attached to the ground pulled on a little cart by a horse.

Parents - please read here instead - we then got in a Taxi driven by a middle aged vicars wife from Somerset. She made sure we had our seat belts well fastened and did not exceed 10 miles per hour.

The underwater caves were immense. One was 300 foot deep. The water filters through the limestone so is totally pure. The caves have been there for 1000s of years.



Playa del Carmen and the Wedding

The wedding was really beautiful. The villa was amazing - right on the beach. Jess had put so much effort in to make sure everything was perfect.

Everything was really personal, Jamies friend conducted the ceremony. We took lots of photos but will show everyone when we get home I won't put any on here.

Tulum - The original hippie hangout in Mexico, possibly the most beautiful beach in the world and Mayan ruins on the shore. We were here for the end of the world. We are still here. Not much happened. Festival on the beach. We all survived. In fact of all our adventures so far the end of the world has been one of the most tame.

Chetumal - Mexico - border town

We had reservation for the water taxi to Belize. Unfortunately so did about 80 people and only 61 can fit on the boat so we didn't go.

Instead we had to go and cross the land border on foot. Then get to the 'airport' and catch a flight.



At the time we only had pesos - here the US dollar is king, almost everything is negotiable, but you gotta have the dollars!

We took a taxi to the border, he promised he would help us through and take us to the Belizean side. He however legged it as soon as he possibly could and abandoned us. Luckily we had the foresight to keep our bags with us.

A lovely gentleman who worked for immigration was waiting outside the border patrol window and helped us loads. We couldn't believe how helpful he was. He sorted out all the formalities no problem. He then walked us into the freezone which is a kind of no mans land between the countries. Only when he asked us to pay him did we realise he was a fixer!!! Duhhh. Anyway we dealt with that and walked over the bridge between the countries.

The Belizean customs were lovely and English speaking which helps. They had a little tourist helper there and he asked where we were going. We told him Caye Caulker and he told us the flight was full, but there was 3 Aussies and an American ahead of us who wanted to go too so he made a phone call to the airport and they agreed to put on another flight for the seven of us.

Turns out 7 didn't fit, it was a 6 seater. Our luggage had to be sent to a different island as that didn't fit either. I will try to upload the landing video. It is awesome.

Staiz got to sit up front next to the pilot.

Obviously this unexpected turn of events cost us a small fortune - never thought I would ever charter a plane! We could not however be stuck in no-mans land overnight - far too scary. Thank God the Aussies were in the same boat (no actually not in the boat at all that was the problem but you know what I mean) since that halfed the cost.



So Caye Caulker, its tiny. you can see the ocean on your left and right (about 400m wide) you can walk the length in 10 mins. No one has a car. No one rushes ever. The islands official motto is Go Slow. Everyone says hello and chats. Its hot, its breezy, its beautiful. Our room is about 12 foot from the ocean.

We are probably going to snorkel with the sharks tomorrow. We don't know if there is Skype on here. We have a phone though so we will be contacting everyone tomorrow.

We are on a tiny island with only one cell tower and have just been told the internet will cut off soon so am going to publich this and come back to it later.

Will also make arrangements to contact everyone tomoz so please check back here later.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb