You better Belieze it!!


Advertisement
Published: December 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Made my way across the Guatemalan border again this time into Belieze. Arrived in belieze city (no longer the capital since a hurricane hattie hit in the 60's and they relocated the capital to Belmopan) anyway not a very nice city so on the boat straight to Caye Caulker a little paradise island off the coast.

It's a really chilled out island full of the Garifuna people who are decendants of the west African slaves originally brought to central America. They are a really cool race very chilled out, dreadlocks and listening to reggae music and super friendly speaking African English ( essentially an island full of bob marleys really.

I managed to spend the most of a week here sitting at the beach, watching sunsets, exploring the island and not alot else. The island has no cars as it is too small to need them and all the roads are just sand paths with lots of colourful buildings.

The main highlight was a day snorkelling trip out to the reef (same one that goes all the way to Honduras 2nd largest in the world). It was the mist amazing snorkelling I have ever done. We started on the boat which was an actual sail boat and headed about an hour out to sea. We had our first stop to see the coral and some really cool fish before lunch and heading to our second spot - shark and ray alley!!! It does exactly what it says in the tin ad we got to snorkel with nurse sharks and sting rays! The nurse sharks were really cool and we even got to pet one that our guide picked up. The stingrays were huge and one of the coolest fish I have seen.

We moved onto our final dropsy the reef itself and had a guided snorkel out to the outside and back in to the boat about 40 minutes. We saw 3 huge green turtles just swimming by, a green moray eel, barracuda,parrot fish and loads more :-)

A Super week overall. Last border cross to Mexico from here!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Snorkelling TripSnorkelling Trip
Snorkelling Trip

Captain Jahlee - longest dreads ever they are in his pocket!!


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb