Day trip to Ambergris Caye


Advertisement
Published: February 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sharkie poolside at Seaside CabanasSharkie poolside at Seaside CabanasSharkie poolside at Seaside Cabanas

just soakin' in the sun before a busy day
Hope everyone is okay at home in spite of the ice storm rolling through. We decided to actually do something today and planned a day trip to nearby Ambergris Caye. We first went to the local bank so Fred could cash a traveler's check. I waited outside and immediately made a new Friend...a local man who called me "sweetheart". Lucky me!!! We then bought pastries at the bakery and then water taxi tickets for our trip tomorrow to Belize City and our tour to the Mayan ruins called Lamanai.

Caught the 9:45 taxi to Ambergris and met a Canadian woman living on Caulker who gave us lots of great info about the island. She told us the guys pulling you into the restaurants for dinner get paid $2 bz for each person they bring in. A Belizian dollar equals 50 cents U.S. but it's a lot of money to the locals. We haven't had a bad meal anywhere and just love the spices they use. You can find Mexican, creole, Chinese, Cuban, native Belizean and even Italian cuisine on the island. David and Kenny would have no problem finding their favorite pasta here. I think I'll have to try the Tiramisu before going home.

It's about a 30 minute ride to San Pedro on Ambergris. Bought some jewelry from a local vendor and did more window shopping. Ate lunch at a restaurant called Caliente and had the best shrimp ceviche as an appetizer. I had a steak burrito with mole sauce and fried plantains...the portions were huge and it was sooo good...no problem man! Brought Sharkie along for the ride and he met Arturo the stuffed burro at the restaurant. Met folks from Edmonton, Canada...honestly...I think the whole country is here on holiday.

Took the 2:20 taxi back to Caulker, hit the pool and chatted with others staying here including two girls from Alberta, Canada and two ladies from California who went to ladies night at the Oceanside last night. God bless 'em they stayed 'til 2 AM. The girls had done the Lamanai tour as well as the cave tubing and zip line tour and highly recommend them both.

After yummy cocktails poolside, we retired to our private roof top lounge...Fred to nap and me to blog. We just love this place...feels like home. Island is flat, not like Virgin Islands that are mountains and houses have no useable yards. Locals are so very friendly.

We have to take the 7:30 AM water taxi tomorrow and will have a full day on the mainland with the tour. The plan for tonight is to go with our new friends Chris and Ann (from Calgary, Canada....no surprise there) to international trivia night at the Sport Bar and hopefully meet Deb (the Canadian woman from this morning's water taxi trip). We're hoping our team will kick butt!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Pirate PizzaPirate Pizza
Pirate Pizza

Yo Ho Ho...Pirate Fred will be your server today.
Belizean Best BuyBelizean Best Buy
Belizean Best Buy

local hardware store...not electronic superstore...on Ambergris.
Jewelry makerJewelry maker
Jewelry maker

isn't he cute. Made me custom earrings in 10 minutes!
aerial jet skiaerial jet ski
aerial jet ski

some how I don't think U.S. zoning laws would allow that.
Sharkie meets ArturoSharkie meets Arturo
Sharkie meets Arturo

Wooohoo!!! Ridem' Sharkie!
comfy blisscomfy bliss
comfy bliss

roof top hammock


3rd February 2011

Great Blogging!
Really enjoying your blogs guys! Looks like a nice little island and the pictures with Sharkie are great too! Ahhhh - memories!! Got through the last storm - very icy driveway - thank goodness its flat! Doggies really have cabin fever - can't really run around the yard because of ice-encrusted 2 feet of snow!! Love the rooftop hammock!!! Miss you guys!
4th February 2011

Equal rights for Chloe and Molly
Chloe and Molly want to come down and play with sharkie and auturo. They say this snow is for the birds. Great pictures and stories, keep em coming. Love you, Donna

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb